Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assistance with Auto Detailing

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    105 isn't needed unless you have deep marring. The 105 is a bitch to get off if used in sunlight. Megs Ultimate Compound works well on moderate defects. Megs Ultimate Polish works well for a finishing polish. Both can be found at WalMart of Advance Auto. That PC combo looks to be a good deal. You can also get pads cheap at Harbor Freight if you have one close to you.

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    BTW, I really like that NXT Tech Wax 2 stuff. It goes on light and is easy to remove. It only lasts a month or two, but so do all waxes.
    Not so fast there my friend! All waxes are NOT created equal!

To the OP, you ARE a victim of information overload. The part that gets me is that you are willing to spend your money on stuff that you not only don't need, but you also don't understand what it is you are buying. I know a million guys like you (actually, over 5 million if you look at my You Tube channel). Information overload and they are completely confused because they have gotten so many opinions. Let me help you out before you waste a lot of money unnecessarily.

Watch the videos in this thread.

After you have watched them, watch them again. At that point, post any questions you have in that thread. I am willing to bet that you won't have many questions after those videos. They are going to answer all of your questions concerning paint correction.

Now about waxes. Sealants are the longest lasting protection that you can buy. You can't say exactly HOW LONG they will last because there are many variables that come into play and everyone's situation is different. Given those variables and compared to every other kind of wax, a sealant is going to outlast all of them. The second longest lasting protection you can use is a carnuba paste wax. The least longest lasting protection you can buy is something like that NXT junk. Again, how long it last depends on different variables.

I'll be waiting for your response. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    105 isn't needed unless you have deep marring. The 105 is a bitch to get off if used in sunlight.
    You NEVER, EVER do paint correction in direct sunlight.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given

Assistance with Auto Detailing

Alright so the plan remains Get the porter cable and of course I was going to clay bar. Then get the meguires ultimate compound for some really bad things and then use the meguires polish.

Now what is the difference between the polish and the 205? Then polish some more and then use the wax with the porter cable.

Edit didn't see your post let me go look at those videos and formulate some questions and opinions.

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by beatles4 View Post
    ... Edit didn't see your post let me go look at those videos and formulate some questions and opinions.
    Trust me, those videos are going to shed some serious light on your questions.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given

Assistance with Auto Detailing

Junkman in your opinion how does the meguires ultimate compound compare to the m105?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    My recommendation would be, griots 6" DA polisher, the motor's stronger than the PC, and the warranty is way better (lifetime), not to mention it's a little cheaper.
    http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-...bital+polisher

I'm currently using this pad and compound kit, and I love it. I've taken out heavy sanding marks with it, but the correction ability is gradual enough you have decent control.
    http://www.optimumcarcare.com/hypermicrosystem.php?li=8

Some other stuff...

Optimum ONR - For surface prep, or clay lube
    Opti-Eraser - Like clay, but not useless after being dropped
    10% IPA solution - mix it yourself, there should be charts online on how to mix with various rubbing alcohol solutions to get 10%

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    OK upon further research I ordered the
    1. Meguiar Ultimate Compound
    2. Meguiar m205
    3. Meguiar caranuba wax
    4. Porter Cable 7424xp
    5. 18002 backing plate for the pc
    6. 2 orange hex comb... 6 inch pads
    7. 3 white hex comb... 6 inch pads
    8. 2 black hex comb... 6 inch pads.
    9. clay bar and detail spray for it.

that should be good to get me started.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    solid choices, if not a bit on the pricey side.

I would've went with a synthetic clay bar if I were buying now, since that's the latest tech out. They even have DA polisher compatible ones now.

For meg's compounds, I think I would've given meg's 101 single step a try, heard some great things about it.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Well I will keep everyone informed as to how well it works. I am excited to make my daily really nice and my dads car too. I will use the miata as a test car since it will be getting new paint all together soon. Currently it has patches of missing paint.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Don't this it's been mentioned, if your miata single stage or basecoat/clearcoat?

If it's single stage, be warned, the stuff you've got is going to cut through it extremely quickly, especially on the edges and creases of the body lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12