Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Supercharger questions... take two

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    Alright, I'm installing a M45 Sebring supercharger on my car. It's an old thing but it should put out some decent power for the price. But I have to get it in first! I got a bunch of questions and I'm sure others can offer some advice.

Basic objectives of this thread:

Figure out what I need to finish this SC set up
    What I should look out for
    General advice

Some background on the SC. It has unknown miles but came off a running car. I have a Voodoo box from FM for the fuel and MSD box for ignition. I have a set of 1.8 injectors, a wideband, boost gauge (I want to look cool), and an assortment of other gauges. I also have a smaller nose pulley for the SC and have no idea what the boost will be with it. I'm going to assume it will be under 8psi.

Finally, I have a 1.8 clutch to hold the power and I'm sure I will blow my 1.6 diff. Oh well. ON TO PICTURES!

Here is a general picture of the supercharger

WP_000584 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr

Picture of the throttle body in front of the SC. Its the dummy one but I do have an extra throttle body but have no idea how to install it. Later on that.

Point of this picture, what is that nipple on the pipe for? I know the larger one is for the tube that goes to the intake manifold

WP_000585 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    I believe that is where the valve cover vent tube goes to (the one on the drivers/exhaust side of the motor)

This obviously isn't tight but this is the extra bracket, right? Goes to the front of the engine? I have the main bracket for the supercharger (two bolts to the engine, 3 bolts on the supercharger) and this single bar bracket. Don't know what else holds it.

WP_000586 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    That is the main support bracket. It attaches to the engine, under the blower and supports it.

Admire the PO's awesome job patching a tube.... seriously... couldn't buy a new tube. That silver thing important?

WP_000587 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    That is a check valve. It will give you .5 - 1 more PSI. Also helps a bit with idle droop.

The intake pipe wasn't exactly straight. It was bend slightly like it wouldn't go into the intake mani correctly. Is that why there is a bent coupler?

WP_000588 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    The 1.6 thermostat housing is vertically positioned off the front of the motor, the 1.8 is horizontally oriented (comes straight out towards the front of the car. the kink in the front of the crossover tube is to clear the 1.8 thermostat housing.

Ok. Top left is the tensioner, I have no idea what the top right is, and can anyone tell me what those bolts are for? Otherwise, I'm guessing on them.

WP_000589 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    I cannot speak to the bolts themselves. The three n the right look like replacement hardware, the flanges bolts on the left are OEM hardware, probably. The bracket on the upper right is for the PS pump. The tensioner system for the PS has to be reconfigured to work with the blower and blower tensioner.

More random shit. I'm guessing the most of that stuff is for the throttle body. What is the small rubber line for?

WP_000590 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    Vacuum tubing. The plate on the left, under the cork gasket is the ISC (Idle Speed Controller that is bolted to bottom of the OEM TB on the 1.6 cars) blockoff plate.

As I was cleaning all the brake dust off this artifact, I realized the paint was coming off. I'm media blasting and painting all the brackets/metal parts. What should I do about the SC itself? Is it worth painting? And some of the bolts are rusted on this thing. Awesome

WP_000591 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr
    The unit is from a car that lived in the north or near the ocean. Follow Yellow's advice above. You can paint it, but I wouldn't start tearing it apart. I had the outlet manifold on mine powedercoated to match my valve cover and intake manifold.

Little more info.

I plan on buying some GM supercharger oil to put in and a new bypass actuator. The set up should work as is, but I don't want to take any chances. I also plan on running colder spark plugs but I don't want to buy the ones on Moss. (way too much) Can anyone link me to some cheaper ones?
    Oil, cannot comment on that. For the spark plugs, go to the closest, preferred auto parts store. Tell them you want new spark plugs for your car "ONE RANGE COLDER".

Thanks for any and all advice folks. We had a great thread the first time. Lets try and make it happen again!
    Good luck!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Lots of good info is being added!

Now I have a better idea where to go next.

Fueling: Yellow, you mentioned a power card. How much of a difference between a power card and what I have? It may be worth the effort to install what I got now.

Duel throttle body: Should I start off with one and then do two? Or just do two right away?

Nose pulley: I'm gonna be really upset if I can't use the smaller pulley I got, but I should have done the research.

Painting: I am going to sand down nearly everything and make it as pretty as I can. I don't plan on taking apart the supercharger at all.

Temp control: Good idea on wrapping the crossover pipe. I had no idea that would generate so much heat. I'll be sure to do it on the intake elbow as well.

Thanks for all the great advice!
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    Please replace that bull**** with real auto hose.
    *Cough*

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gtr-65023/overview/

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    lol, still looks like butchered garden hose

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Come to my house and take some photos of the Sebring S/C on my Miata and maybe get a better idea of what you are missing if anything???

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Ooo, that's actually a good idea since they're basically identical. Get a good look at the tensioner setup too and take photos.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Come to my house and take some photos of the Sebring S/C on my Miata and maybe get a better idea of what you are missing if anything???
    When I get a free weekend day, its a plan.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12