Thread: Feedback on this '91

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    Volvo V70 xc
    Thanks Given

Feedback on this '91

I'm a Miata newbie and am looking for an inexpensive, fun daily driver. Not interested in racing. Any feedback on this '91? I don't have a feel for market prices or things to look out for; any pointers on same would be appreciated.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3851183930.html

91 MAZDA MIATA - $6800 (fremont / union city / newark)

$6800 Firm price
    Miata mx-5 N/A
    Clean title (in hand)
    British Racing green color (Excellent condition)
    Tan interior with Nardi shift and brake handle (Excellent condition)
    58,000 original miles!

Jvc media player with Polk audio speakers (Bluetooth and hands free)

Jackson Racing Supercharger (M45) Smog legal
    Upgraded Clutch and Flywheel
    Hard Dog Double Diagonal Roll Bar
    Stock Daisy rims Powder coated
    Front Lip Spoiler by TougeRun
    Magna Flow Exhaust

MATCHING HARD TOP
    3E83Gb3N35Ka5F25Hdd65f243a89604f7176c.jpg
    3L73F53I55E95Hd5J1d65e2861cb7c7c61f45.jpg
    3L13Fa3N75Ia5E45J1d659e38514625af160f.jpg

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    ^ Car looks good. As to whether the modifications to this car are worth the money, that is up to you. I don't know a lot about Superchargers, but I believe that the M45 is no longer supported, and the M62 is all the rage now.

The Hard Dog rollbar is a high quality product, but most roll bars leave a "permanent" mark. The rims look bad, but that is easily fixable with newer rims, or other "daisies".

I'd say the car looks good, the miles are somewhat low, and the price is fair.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Awesome price. Going off what the driver said here are some of the pros

First off, 1991 BRG with 58k miles is sweet. You gotta worry about the Short nose crank on the earlier Miatas but If you do the Timing belt change right, it shouldn't be a problem
    Second, a super charger is money. While they have gotten rid of the M45 and replaced it with the M62, the M45 was made for the 1.6l engine. It might be an old Sebring charger but they are still popular (one is going on my car) they sell from $1000-$1500 depending on what comes with it.
    Third, a "low" milage miata is gonna cost some money. It is good that it has some good modifications

What to look out for

What kind of shocks are on the car? If they are stock, they will need to be swapped.
    Those stock wheels aren't doing it. They probably can't grip with the supercharger
    What kind of fuel control/timing control is the person using on the car? If they can't tell you, then pass on by. Buying a forced induction car from someone that doesn't know what they have is a bad idea
    Any type of gauges anywhere? You need a wideband and boost gauge when working with stuff like that
    Did they do the water pump and timing belt change? At 60k is when you should start thinking about it (or just do it)

Over all, if the thing doesn't rust, the person knows what is going on with it, and you feel good when driving it. Buy it. It is a good deal. Not the best, but good.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Thank You for using MR.net the the CAS!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    We need a used car buyers guide, maybe we can get "the Driver" or someone else experienced to type one up?

I would look under the car, check for rust, or frame damages, but other than that it looks like a great project car. The price really depends on your area, what city/state are you located in? Here in Florida most Miatas are high mileage (driven all year) but we don't see much on the side of rust (unless the car is parked outside near the ocean)