Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Kaeru 神カエル-My build(-ish?) thread

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    That sucks dude, at least you got it done. Seems like every tire shop I've seen uses air tools to slam on lugnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    If you use locking lugs in the future and lose the key, I have a solution for removal. Get a sacrificial socket that is just a tad smaller than the wheel lock. Then drive the socket on with a BFH and you can get the lock off. To remove the lock from the socket, you will need the BFH and a center punch. I just did this a few weeks ago on my car. I'll never get wheel locks again. It showed me how simple it is to defeat them.
    Volk's attempt: After you remove the screw, you have to use a 7 sided allen key. The exterior of the lugnut spins freely.

Watanabe's: I believe this is a sleeve over an ordinary lug, that can only be removed with the key. I don't know the sleeve material or how effective this would be against thieves.

But as pointed out, it's not uncommon to see hubs removed or parts of your car cut just to obtain the wheels.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

etikoner (06-19-2014),Ihatecars (06-18-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given

Tires and Mirrors! Update

After about a week of wasting my time I ended up getting my tires mounted on my wheels.

|

I'm really happy with the tire to wheel fitment. Nice and meaty, but nothing too ridiculous.
    The ride quality wasn't drastically affected, but handling has been notable affected. Both in terms of grip and road feel. I've also noticed that my car feel significantly more solid while driving over bumpy roads or after hitting slight bumps in the road. I'm definitely enjoying the new wheels and tires.

I really love the way the 185/60's fit on the wheel. It's just the perfect amount of meat to seem aggressive without looking like a balloon.

Now, onto my weekend project. Remember those Vitaloni/M2 mirrors I got in the mail a few months ago? I go tired of waiting for them to get painted professionally and decided to have at it myself. I ordered some cans of color matched paint from TouchUp Direct. I've had experience with them previously with their brush type touch-up paint, so I thought it couldn't hurt to give them a shot once again. I ordered a single can of "HU: British Racing Green paint, and a can of clear coat.

I taped off all of the parts I didn't want painted.

And sanded the surfaces I wanted painted to help with adhesion.

I also used some Rustoleum Multi-Surface Primer, but I don't really have any picture of that stage.

First paint application.

Fifty coats of paint later it was time for clear coat.

The finish came out surprisingly well. Especially considering I've never really done something like this.

I also snapped a picture of the mirrors with my DSLR to try and show off the finish.

I'm going to wait a few days just to let the clear coat completely harden before mounting them on my car. After all the time I've spent sanding and painting, I definitely don't want to ruin the finish by prematurely mounting them on my car.

Once I have them on I'll make sure to post a few pictures for you guy!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (06-18-2014),pacman 99 (06-18-2014),speedypenguin (06-22-2014),ueru (06-19-2014),WASABI (06-18-2014)

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given

Small update.

I got the mirrors on last weekend. After waiting for nearly a week I felt the paint had hardened enough.

I haven't taken very many pictures with the mirrors actually mounted and the few that I have aren't that great.

The paint came out wonderfully. The color matches very nicely, and everything looks uniform and even.

The mirrors himself on the other hand. They're definitely something I need to get used to. The limited visibility is definitely difficult to deal with. Reversing into parking spots is significantly more difficult with these mirrors on.

In a few months I'll try and post an update on how I'm making due with the mirrors. If I really can't stand them I'll probably have to buy a set of Garage 502 mirrors down the road.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

ueru (06-25-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Jazz has M2-1028 style mirrors, and it definitely took time to get used to it. Some options you can pursue:

1) Zoom makes wide-angle "blue" glass pre-cut for the M2-1028 mirrors. Willywongka uses that glass for his M2-1028 mirrors.

2) For me, I've gotten used to the limited side view, but I added a Broadway wide-angle rearview mirror. The wider view helps me see more of what's behind me, given the fact the standard glass is very narrow.

3) As you mentioned, you could look for some baller Garage 502 mirrors.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-10-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I think the YAJ thread had a link to the blue mirrors. My set of "Vitaronis" which were actually a set of engleman Mirrors came from the land of the rising son with blue HD mirrors already installed, and they were as good, if not better than the OEM mirrors. Do it!

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/w104526333
    Last edited by etikoner; 06-26-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: link to goodness

10. The Following User Says Thank You to etikoner For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-10-2014)

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given

hehehehe

Finally.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

etikoner (07-10-2014),fwdtamiya (07-10-2014),ueru (07-12-2014),WASABI (07-10-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-10-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecars View Post
    The mirrors himself on the other hand. They're definitely something I need to get used to. The limited visibility is definitely difficult to deal with. Reversing into parking spots is significantly more difficult with these mirrors on.
    Nice DIY paint job. I love color matched Vitalonis. If you think your mirrors are small you should try Runabouts! You will get used to it. Enjoy!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-10-2014)

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    Nice DIY paint job. I love color matched Vitalonis. If you think your mirrors are small you should try Runabouts! You will get used to it. Enjoy!
    Thanks a lot! The paint definitely came out better than I thought it was going to.
    I've definitely gotten used to the mirrors. I've learned to aim them a little further out than what I'm used to doing.

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given

Double whammy: Update

First off, the previous owner of my car called me and said his family found a few Miata goodies laying around, and that I could come get them if I wanted.

He ended up having a softtop cover

Two spare keys. One of which is this nifty wallet key thing.

And a crap tone of cool old issues of Miata Magazine ranging from Spring 1991- Summer 1996

I'll try and post a few more pictures from the magazines for you guys. Hopefully some of you will get as big of a kick out of them as I did.

On the my teaser from before.
    As I'm sure a few of you know, I'm no good with surprises and I reviled the contents of my package on Instagram.
    Well, for the few of you that don't follow me or have an IG...

I got my GV tails from the Rev9 group buy! A few days ago actually. I've just been too busy(lazy actually) to post until now. I haven't messed around with my new tails much as of yet. I took the out of the package to make sure they weren't harmed in shipping. I then mocked up what they'd look like with the light installed and snapped this photo.

This one too. Just so everybody knew I got the real deal.

Now, today I received another package!

Bonus cat.

Ground Control Coilover sleeves. Erick constantly telling me to build a set of Bilstein coils rather than buying a pre-made set, I finally gave in. Earlier this week I did a tone of research, but after a bit of confusion I gave Shaikh a call about coilovers. 30 minutes later I had the knowledge to build a set of GC/Bilstain coils and was making the appropriate calls to get everything ordered.

I should be reciving a few more suspension pieces in the mail in the coming weeks.

Oh, and remember that Mazdaspeed picture I posted a few updates back? The part I was hinting at landed in the states yesterday. UPS says it will be here by EOD Wednesday.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

etikoner (07-12-2014),fwdtamiya (07-11-2014),WASABI (07-11-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Many "Thanks" given.

Nice to see all of the upgrades, and cool free bits!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-11-2014)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Nice! I always hope the previous owner of my miata will contact me like that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-11-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Ball so hard
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    Many "Thanks" given.

Nice to see all of the upgrades, and cool free bits!
    Thank you, Wasabi-san.
    I'm trying to get on your gentleman level.

Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    Nice! I always hope the previous owner of my miata will contact me like that.
    Well, the PO didn't actually contact me. His son in law did.
    The real original owner is currently doing very poorly as far as his health goes. While clearing out the OP's house his son in law found the items.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    Ball so hard
    I haven't been fined yet.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast