Thread: Dreaming of Sliding... Build?

Idling - Listen to it purr... bwwaaaa's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1991 Miata
    Thanks Given

Dreaming of Sliding... Build?

I hate to call it a build, because it's not like this car is an active project. I'm still driving it around, I just make changes when I can. That said, the car does need to be "built". So whatever works.

This is my 1991 Miata. Picked it up relatively cheap, but as with all cheap cars there was a catch. Or catches rather. It's high mileage, and looks like someone actively kicked the crap out of it every day. There wasn't a single surface that didn't have something wrong with it.

Here it is when I picked it up. Kicked in bumper, faded paint.

Shortly after that I had a Hard Dog single diagonal roll bar installed. I had planned to autocross it, and I just wanted the extra peace of mind (even though it's unlikely it would ever flip).

The previous owner thought it'd be awesome to tint the windows. And then tear half of it off and leave the glue there. So I steamed it all off and scraped off the glue.

And that's about all I had done.

UNTIL TODAY.

I was getting sick of looking at this every single day. I couldn't see out the back, so I had to drive with the top down everywhere. Bugs were getting in my car, as well as dust and such.

It was torn, faded, smelly and awful. I had attempted to tape it together to stop things from going in, but you can see that didn't work.

While tearing it down we found the parcel shelf to be disgusting. Dirt, mold and you name it. All there.

So we cleaned it up. It still doesn't look awesome, but it's definitely 100x better then how we found it.

Since I was redoing the top, I decided to take out the visors. I still have them (any takers? ), but I'm a tall guy. They were more of a pain, then any actual use. I'll probably make a plug to fill in that hole later.

Mid work, if anyone does this swap themselves, put all the pieces somewhere in order so you can keep track of them. We also bagged/labeled all the hardware. Really saved us some trouble on the rebuild end.

And finished! Took 6.5 hours today, but the results were well worth it. I can see out the back, it doesn't smell in the car anymore, and the biggest plus is everything is actually sealed from the elements.

Makes the whole car look a million times better.

So in regards to the title, I have a goal to drift this car. It's a bit of an obsession of mine, probably not helped by seeing this in person this year.

But that means getting the drive train/etc. all working better and later sorting out the suspension and so on. Admittedly I probably shouldn't be drifting my daily, but you do what you have to. I rather drive my car into the ground then baby it. That said my future plans include doing something with the differential, doing a 1.8 swap, and getting some proper coilovers thrown in there. I'm also just waiting to install a Sparco Sprint 5 I have sitting around. I'm not sure I can have the best of both worlds (relatively comfortable daily/decent drifter) but I'll give it a shot. And if at any point I can get another car to daily, this thing is going full track mode . Or I'll just be really uncomfortable for the sake of
    Last edited by bwwaaaa; 06-27-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    ^^ that is sweet ^^ Danny George Racing!!!

Last edited by atank; 06-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Nice to see a fellow r/miata over here. Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    White 1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    ^^ that is sweet ^^ Danny George Racing!!!

Haha yeah, I went to Long Beach this year for Formula Drift. I managed to catch a video of his battle against Daigo Saito. Just too bad he lost

Quote Originally Posted by Pyr0monk3y View Post
    Nice to see a fellow r/miata over here. Nice work.
    Hey thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would recognize that sticker.

Drives
    White 1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    So there's no where near by to drift in Phoenix. Firebird is closed for a while, and I don't have the ability to get to Tucson and back for those events. Not to mention I really wouldn't pass any tech right now. So I guess the whole drifting goal will be put on the back burner. In the mean time I'm going to focus on making the Miata as nice a DD as possible. I guess that's where the whole "dreaming" part comes in right?

That said I got some work done today. (Sorry for the poor quality, took photos with my iPhone, came out less than awesome).

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

As a side note, is this black tar stuff normal on a Miata? It's putty like and actually is spread all over the door. I find it hard to believe that's how Mazda designed the seal, but it got everywhere while prying the door panel off. I kind of want to just want to remove it, but I'm not entirely sure how critical the plastic is there. It's just weather proofing right?

Anyway the goal is to pickup some fabric tomorrow and redo the door cards. I wanted to just go with ABS sheets, but I don't have the patience (or money, which is really the bigger issue) to do that right now. I'm deleting the arm rest from both doors, and doing door pulls in their place. I'm a pretty big guy, so I need the extra space. My knee was hitting the old pull whenever it was time to use the clutch.

I also just sold my Sparco Sprint V, as it wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped. Should have sat in one first, but oh well. That said, I just bought a Lotus Elise seat from the LotusTalk forums. It's in the mail now. Next paycheck I'll pick up some Flipside Elise brackets, and get the seat installed. I have sat in one of those, and I actually fit in it.

The guy I bought it from gave me the picture. It's the wrong color completely for my car, but it was $400 shipped. So I really couldn't care if it's pink at that price.

Otherwise my engine is making a nasty sound. I thought it might just be HLA's after reading up online and seeing other people had similar issues with their Miata making the same noise. A lot of people suggested it was probably time for a lighter weight oil, so I did an oil change. Still lot's of ticking, it really doesn't sound healthy. The sound goes away at around 4k, but it otherwise present (and annoying) at idle and slightly above. Any suggestions as to what this could be? The 1.6 is at 200k, so it's probably time to start thinking about getting rid of it.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I love those seats! I'd kill for tan Lotus seats at that price!
    About your engine, I don't know much about engines, but I've heard a lot of Miatas living well past the 200k mark. My 1.6 makes a pretty sweet ticking noise after I really flog it around, and it only has 47k miles on it. Good luck though.
    I also dream of drifting my Miata. I have a little fun at night in empty parking lots, but nothing too crazy. I'm not skilled enough to do any "real" drifting safely or well. Smart idea to put it on the back burner until you find something closer that is legal.

Where'd you get the r/Miata sticker? I'm an avid Redditor, and would love to show some love for an awesome sub!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    you can buy leather dye online, and get it to any color darker than the current color. It's very simple to use as well.

Drives
    White 1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecars View Post
    I love those seats! I'd kill for tan Lotus seats at that price!
    About your engine, I don't know much about engines, but I've heard a lot of Miatas living well past the 200k mark. My 1.6 makes a pretty sweet ticking noise after I really flog it around, and it only has 47k miles on it. Good luck though.
    I also dream of drifting my Miata. I have a little fun at night in empty parking lots, but nothing too crazy. I'm not skilled enough to do any "real" drifting safely or well. Smart idea to put it on the back burner until you find something closer that is legal.

Where'd you get the r/Miata sticker? I'm an avid Redditor, and would love to show some love for an awesome sub!
    My biggest issue with the current engine is the previous owner. If the rest of the car is any indication of how the drive train was taken care of, then the engine is on its way out. I may as well just slap a 1.8 in there, I could use the extra power anyways

I've tried drifting my Miata a few times, but it never ends well. With the open diff I'm just peg legging it everywhere. I'd just weld it, but then there goes the "daily" ability. Fortunately I have some time to get it together with the track situation right now haha.

And I got the decal from http://www.reddit.com/user/zenie. Last I checked he didn't have any more, but he was looking into getting more. Might be worth shooting him a message and seeing if he has anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    you can buy leather dye online, and get it to any color darker than the current color. It's very simple to use as well.
    Thanks, I'll look into it. If I can make it black, that'd be awesome.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I daily drive my 1.6 with a welded 1.8 rear end. I don't have any problems. I also drift it too.