Thread: Flier's 99 STR car

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Thanks Given

Flier's 99 STR car

If you've been to a SCCA Solo 2 national tour in the past 14 years it's very likely you've seen this car compete. A long line of winning pedigree in auto-x, something I don't plan to stop. I bought this car from David Marcus who bought it from the original owner, Darrin Disimo. It was auto-crossed since new and had good success in C-Stock trim. David and Darrin converted it to STR trim and did really well with the car, grabbing a couple of wins in Pro Solo and a tour or two. My co-driver managed 3rd out of 14 last weekend at Blytheville, I was too busy sucking and came in 8th.

(yes that's a pink SSM FD in the background, it's 1BAMF...)

The car also doubles as a very nice street car and my DD...

Mod-list:
    99 Sport, 56k miles currently
    Xida-S 700/400
    15x9 6ULs
    225/45/15 BFG Rivals(right now)
    RB hollow front-sway, 949 end-links, no rear
    ES poly bushings motor mounts, diff, and control-arms
    brake pads, organic(yup) front, Carbotech AX6 rear
    Custom "cold-air" intake
    RB header
    Custom exhaust, high-flow cat, Borla resonator
    DPtune ecu "reflash"
    2140lbs with a gal of gas, which means I need to drop weight!

I haven't made too many changes to the car since I bought it, but I was happy after I let both previous owners drive it during practice on Friday and they said it was a lot more stable and easier to drive vs when they had it and never should of sold the car.

I'll update this thread as I make changes to the car, nothing extreme planned right now. Of course, each change I consider has to be legal for STR, which is sometimes a bummer. Future mods I'm considering, wilwood brakes with 2-piece rotors(weight). Tubular/aluminum lower control-arms(weight). Some good seats(bracing, not much weight to be saved). Stuffing a MS2 into the stock box(more power under the curve and higher limiter, currently 7500 I want 7800 )

Cleanest car I've owned and cleanest engine bay I've ever had(no dirt):

I think the car enjoys the mountains after being in Florida since 99, lol.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ciotti's Avatar
    Drives
    99' STR build
    Thanks Given
    Lookin good man, can't wait to see it at Miatas in Boone
    @CiottiMonkey on the Instagram
    www.Facebook.com/CiottiIndustries
    1999 STR Miata: Tein Flex Racing Beat header, exhaust, 1.125" sway bar, and braces Carbing STB KAAZ diff 949 15x9's 225 Rivals

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I dig it! I'm going to be switching over from RTR to STS here next season... starting to collect parts now, though.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    Thanks Given
    STS is a fun class and the top 2-3 finishers have been known to out-raw all of STR at some events. Just make sure you have shaved 195 r1rs and you'll be good to go!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    yyyiiii!!!

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by flier129 View Post
    STS is a fun class and the top 2-3 finishers have been known to out-raw all of STR at some events. Just make sure you have shaved 195 r1rs and you'll be good to go!
    I might just run full tread R1R's. For the life of me, I can't justify buying tires and having tread shaved off of them. I do a perfectly good job of that myself! We have a pretty competitive group running STS, so it should be a fun class.

EDIT: I just noticed your listed weight. What all were you able to remove to get it down so low???
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ciotti's Avatar
    Drives
    99' STR build
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    I might just run full tread R1R's. For the life of me, I can't justify buying tires and having tread shaved off of them. I do a perfectly good job of that myself! We have a pretty competitive group running STS, so it should be a fun class.

EDIT: I just noticed your listed weight. What all were you able to remove to get it down so low???
    In STR you can pull the AC, Power steering, spare and jack, lightweight header, midpipe, exhaust, and coilovers save some weight as well.
    @CiottiMonkey on the Instagram
    www.Facebook.com/CiottiIndustries
    1999 STR Miata: Tein Flex Racing Beat header, exhaust, 1.125" sway bar, and braces Carbing STB KAAZ diff 949 15x9's 225 Rivals

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I can actually do most of that in STS now, including the power steering. (Previously the only way to be legal was to have a steering wheel from a base model.) Since mine is also a street car, though, I'd prefer to have my a/c working.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given

You do realize that tread squirm grinds the tread off the tires and that in most cases shaved tires will last longer than non shaved tires.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    God, I love white NBs...

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    You do realize that tread squirm grinds the tread off the tires and that in most cases shaved tires will last longer than non shaved tires.
    I did not... resources to read up on this? Has there been any testing done to support it? (Just curious, having never heard that...) In any event, I'll likely be keeping an eye out for used track-day tires around Mid-Ohio and/or Waterford hills. R1Rs tend to pop up fairly regularly for between 25 - 40 a tire.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    What Ciotti said.. no a/c, RB header, light exhaust, Xidas are also pretty light. I still have p/s, mainly because of the quicker steering ratio, makes it much easier to catch on the auto-x course. I have quite a bit of weight I can drop, in time lol. STS cars are REALLY light, a local has a highly prepped 1.6 and it weighs in just under 2000#, still has the same damn hp as me too lol.

I did not... resources to read up on this? Has there been any testing done to support it? (Just curious, having never heard that...) In any event, I'll likely be keeping an eye out for used track-day tires around Mid-Ohio and/or Waterford hills. R1Rs tend to pop up fairly regularly for between 25 - 40 a tire.
    I have no data on the r1rs lasting longer if shaved, but I have seen and driven full-tread vs shaved r1rs. It seemed like it was worth about 5/10ths on a 50-60 second course, less slip-angle with the shaved tires, and they didn't over-heat nearly as quick.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Meh, Flier's all talk. Dude doesn't know how to drive. I lapped him on the Dragon
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by morr View Post
    Meh, Flier's all talk. Dude doesn't know how to drive. I lapped him on the Dragon