Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving across America in a Roadster

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Holla when you cut thru Okieland!
    We will be going panhandle west, but I am in Ttown from time to time.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by NAautoxer View Post
    i will be doing this some day... it's in the books. was supposed to go to FM's open house last year, but that didn't happen..
    Kansas sucks BAD. Just fair warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Silver92B's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Flew to Tacoma and Seattle, visited my sons and drove my old '92 Silverstone from Tacoma to Atlanta via LA... over 3500 miles (the majority of it seemed to be through Texas ). It was a nice trip although I could not camp along the way as I had planned. I camped out one night in Las Cruces NM and it was too cold and dark in the morning . I ended up staying in motels, B&Bs and hotels along the way. Great lodging in most places except LA... Actually my short stay in LA was one of the low spots of the trip. Great adventure and I'd do it again for sure!

Idling - Listen to it purr... Exhondaman's Avatar
    Drives
    Army Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    5 times here. I've used a few different cars.

San Jose to Detroit. (BMW) 1989

Detroit to San Diego (and back) (BMW) 1990

Richmond, VA to LA (Ford) 1999

Charlotte, NC to LA (Honda) 2006

I think everyone should do it at least once.
    AMEN.

Just recently moved from San Diego to Florida and decided to drive my miata with 218,045 miles on it.

My co-workers and friends thought I was insane driving "that piece of shit" across country. Mostly because it's lowered (not slammed), but rides stiff, no passenger seat, roll bar, Sparco bucket, no cat, loud (to them) exhaust,ect,ect. But then again, within the last year and a half, my car has broken down on me twice....and I've facebooked it each time, so I can understand the concern,haha.

But the breakdowns were a blessing in disguise. First was for timing belt. No biggie, got that and everything included replaced. A few months later, I dropped a burnt valve, ouch. But thanks to the miata community, I found a rebuilt head for $50, and since the head was off, replaced piston rings and other little bits.

So with all the major engine work done, I felt very comfortable driving cross country. I took a detour to Vegas for 4 days, but after that I only drove between 600-700 each day, stopping for one night in Albuquerque,NM, one night in Dallas, TX, one night in New Orleans, then straight to Palm Bay Florida.

I took my time the entire trip, stopping if I saw a truck-stop restaurant that looked interesting, or driving in a few miles to avoid higher gas prices right off the freeway. The driving into small towns was the best part. On the freeway, I drafted every 18-wheeler and moving truck I could. At an average of 80-85mph, my best MPG was 34!

It was one of the best experiences of my life. Get out there and see your country, you'd be amazed.

How to pack everything you own into a miata.

328970_10150894636435543_815400542_21393566_1362050108_o.jpg323612_10150894637900543_815400542_21393591_1695252174_o.jpg

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power The Platypus's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    This summer, my friends and I plan on doing a group drive from SF to NY, then back, taking the most scenic routes possible. It's gonna be awesome.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

shot at a gas station near Nashville in early November 2006 when we were moving to LA. Had my wife and our retired greyhound in the car. First day we drove from Charlotte, NC to Little Rock, AK. Second day we drove to Flagstaff, AZ. From there we slowed to enjoy the sites in the southwest, like the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc. It was a fun trip. My other cross-country trips were balls-out. The drive from Detroit to San Diego I did with one other driver and we drove in shifts, never stopped except for fuel, a little under 30 hours IIRC.

It still blows my mind when you drive west into the desert of NM how expansive it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12