1999 Mazda Miata Sport
    Thanks Given
    absolutely amazing work!

Supporting Member artcentermiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver Fastback NB / Blue NA
    Thanks Given
    Back To It!

Its been a while since Ive given an update. Things have been hectic with balancing schooling and jobs- So Ive finally taken a break over the holidays to show off some cool events Ive taken part in over the past few months.

ArtCenter Car Classic

Our school hold this event annually on our main campus. A splendid gathering for some of the most unique, rare, and expensive cars- past and present. Most of the vehicles here have to meet a requirement of being iconic in some sort of engineering standard or by design prowess- so you are always guaranteed to see something quite unique.

These are just a few that grabbed my attention- Some are dream cars, some are childhood throwbacks, some are just damn cool

As you can see, There was a plethora of amazing specimens

Its really a wonderful event, and its open to the public as well- anybody is welcome.

I always love gathering little detail ideas from some of these old time capsules!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

atank (12-23-2013),Dandy (11-11-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (09-11-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    StevenStock 2013

I got roped into coming along to SevenStock with the Miata. Its always a great turn out of the Dorito engine'd kind and this year was no different!

I had the chance to snap a few shot of some machines i considered to be very cleanly executed.

If you are wondering, "Why the motorcycle?" Well, its a classic Suzuki Re5 which was equipped from the factory with a rotary engine!

Under Mazda's garage showed to reveal some amazing pieces as well!

Later, these amazing machines took a turn to blast down AutoClub Speedways front straight! The sound was like gods singing!

In the end, my car ended up winning Best Miata- Though hardly an accomplishment, seeing as i was one of 5 that arrived...

Overall, a great day! its truly a shame that Mazda's new director doesnt see the importance and cultural significance of this engine... Im afraid well never see another Dorito engine in our future!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

atank (12-23-2013),Benbrg (03-05-2014),Dandy (11-11-2015),Demon I Am (12-23-2013),Greasemonkey2000 (09-11-2015),Ihatecars (12-25-2013),Phatmiata (03-05-2014),WASABI (03-05-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    Nice coverage!

I remember reading an article a little while ago saying that Mazda is bringing the rotary back in 2015 for the new RX7. I hope they keep it for more than just that year/model.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The Miata

I got an Instagram, follow me if you wish @artcentermiata

Nothing much has changed, This isn't a bad thing at all! I think Ive come to terms with its styling for now, I'm quite happy with how it looks in whole.
    Small details will be changed from now on- Little portions of the car that i never really had a chance to detail will get some attention. (atleast until MRLS 2014, in which i plan to accomplish some crazy aero additions)

BlackBird FabWorx GT3

Ive been running this setup for a while now, but had not had a chance to give an opinion on the piece.

Before getting the in from Moti, i had been using a HardDog Ace bar for my protection- Hardly the best choice for roll over protection. The Ace is HD's smallest bar, mounting behind the shelf of the rear firewall- It was short, narrow, and didnt link the most important parts of the Miata's chassis together.

I never really felt safe with this setup, and i didn't really see any strengthening benefits- So i had Moti of BlackBird FabWorx build me one of his intermediate level GT3 roll bars.

The build included an Na style harness bar since i have no soft top to clear, NASA guideline tubing spec (lighter than SCCA overall, and more than enough strength for the Miata's weight), Joined to my existing door bars (Moti advised against this, as his original door bars link to the much more important front clip, while mine only to the flimsy floor pan- But i was low on funds, so i had retained my current bars)

The build quality is top notch, i appreciated the ease in which i was able to fit the bar into the chassis- There was no warping, grinding, or extraneous effort require to seat the bar. Powder coat seemed thick and solid as well- I asked for Laguna Seca blue to emulate Mazda's modern racing colors (and specifically, my favorite 792-P race car)

In use, I noticed something drastic change from my previous HardDog bar... The car had turned into a solid and stiffened machine! alot of the NVH and resonance i was getting from my hardtop and door jam area had dissipated- I also notice a huge change in torsional stiffness (now that the door bars are linked to the roll bar, and not the floppy firewall). Where i felt my car twist and contort when entering my angled driveway, had all but disappeared- I actually teeter-totter as i enter the path now.

In a late night effort, i also removed the rear carpet from my parcel shelf again. This is the beginning of a small plan to bring a bit more raw harshness to the build. I plan to also do something unique involving the skeleton of the doors and an Na door top pad- More to come on that soon, its on the back burner now.

Xida AST Coil-Overs

Another part set i have been using for some time, but not had the chance to chime in on my experience with.

Although i cant give an EXPERT opinion on these, seeing as im not a very good interpreter of what my car is telling me as i drive- i can give a "Weekend Enthusiast's" report.

My setup includes the standard Xida CS coil-overs (700/400 rates) with the optional dual-spring setup w/OEM Nb top-hats, Flyin' Miata sway bars, 949 end-links

When i first held the Xidas in my hands i was surprised with little they weighed. the aluminum build is very solid and appealing. The perches and collars are quite unique in the fact that the have machine stock outs for a clocking tool and set screw to make adjustments super easy! just stick in the circular chuck and spin- No awkward double handling of those cheap adjustment wrenches on stripped out collars like my old Teins.

I cant comment on my installation or alignment, seeing as it was taken care of by a helpful friend at 949racing- all i can say is he did a bang up job, and i owe him.

After having a chance to bash them around town and my weekend canyon runs, all i can say is... wow! what an amazing difference in the way my car feels!

My previous stiff hearted Teins couldnt even come close to the adaptability of these XIDAs- Mainly the travel they put out is the reason they give such amazing feedback.

I feel like the valving in these is perfectly developed and the shock absorption is well rounded. Cruising around town is extremely comfortable- almost feels like a slightly more rigid OEM setup... i really dont feel anything from the road at all- A nice surprise. As soon as you start to push these, they really start to stiffen up and stay steady! I found that i could leave the adjustment knobs a little under the 5 click range and still feel very confident on the horribly kept highway over to the canyons; as well staying planted and stable enough during the bashing session.

Im really impressed, and i feel they are worth every penny- a definite recommendation for anyone looking for a higher level adjustable coil-over setup that still needs to travel the city and standard road.

My only gripe, and this is only situational for me- Is that because i am using a taller 50 section tire; the amount of travel the XIDAs put out cause my rubber to make contact with the actual inner metal of the wheel wells, i am basically hitting rock bottom- I simply installed a slightly longer bump stop to soothe the issue. Im sure users with normal height tires dont have this issue.

Continued

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Some G-oodies

The engine bay always seems to get neglected- Luckily Project-G has been developing some amazing products to spice it up!

You'll spot all three of there Precision Series items- The oil cap, engine plug cover, and oil dip-stick handle (this one was a pre-production unit, hence the missing knurling)

A Cool Find

I had been looking for an Nb scale model for ages now- After searching for months, i finally came across one of these rare and discontinued Aoshima 1/24th scale kits

I dont know if i plan on opening it... but its a cool shelf piece!

Another Crest Trip

What can i say! I like this road alot! Its got plenty of miles and its very well taken care of. This time i brought along a friend!

Brought the Go-Pro as well

After all that fun, I had gotten back into town late- Had the opportunity to snap this cool shot. I wish i had a better camera that didn't produce so much noise at night.

The Hook is Back

After I installed the Rotrex, the intake piping blocked the path for my node hook- so i removed it. I finally re-drilled the brace and hood on the opposing side to re-install the odd hook.

It's silly, but i love it

After that, it was off to sleep! I am currently visiting family in Pennsylvania- So i gave the Miata to the only people i trust with it: Project-G, to store and show off until i arrive home.

If you are in the are of their shop, drop by and gander if you like!

Stay tuned!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-11-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (09-11-2015),Ihatecars (12-25-2013)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Re-Uploaded Videos

Earlier in this build, there were Youtube videos linked to some of the updates. Somehow the connections died, so i re-uploaded them!

MRLS 2013

Karting

Snow Summit Biking

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Damn man. This car is on such a different level. Love the way it sounds by the way, looks like a blast to drive!
    I wanna get me a GT3 bar as well, I hated how much flex i felt when I was entering parking lots, and your review has me sold, haha.

Also, loving that steering wheel in there. Looks so fucking awesome in there, haha.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Daily Content

If you'd like reading about a little red box, feel free to join my Rav4 build

Mokocchi: The Awkward Daily

14. The Following User Says Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-11-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Your videos make me jelly of southern California.
    South Texas has to have some of the worst driving roads in North America.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Things Change

Quite certain i want to move into a bit of a Kyusha / Shakotan theme this year

Ive started renovation- More updates to come, Im quite busy right now with School

More to come!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

atank (03-05-2014),Dandy (11-11-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (09-11-2015),Phatmiata (03-05-2014),WASABI (03-05-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    this car is awesome on so many levels, keep up the great work!!! its very inspiring !!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Look at what I came across while browsing Speedhunters... LINK

Some great shots of the car in there. One of them is my new desktop background. Kudos!
    Last edited by WASABI; 04-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 94R For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-11-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, there is a large feature specifically on my car coming out very soon! I feel blessed

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

atank (04-23-2014),etikoner (04-23-2014),Vegard (04-24-2014),WASABI (04-23-2014)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast