1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch RickRacer's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

Knockoff ROTA vs Counterfeit ROTA

Source:
    http://jalopnik.com/knockoff-wheelma...eel-1137837262

'Knockoff' Wheelmaker Rota Warns Of Knockoff Rota Wheels

Rota Wheels do not enjoy the best reputation among tuners. While they do have some defenders, there's one thing about the wheels that's universally recognized: Rota designs are imitations. Now, in kind of a hilarious twist, it looks like they're battling copycats of their own.

The Filipino company mimics the style of specific premium wheels from outfits like Ray's Engineering and Mugen, executes the design using less expensive materials and methods, then sells them to those who can't or won't spend the money on the "real thing." They're not exactly known for quality, though — whenever I see Rota mentioned in a thread on a car forum, I usually scroll down to see posted pictures of Rotas shorn off at the spoke.

That in mind, I couldn't help but see some irony when Rota issued the following statement to automotive news sites in and around the Philippines, where the problem seems to persist. It made its rounds on forums like VWVortex as well, where one user brought it to our attention:

Quote Originally Posted by ROTA
    The counterfeit [ROTA] wheels have recently surfaced through some wheel dealers in Malaysia. They are manufactured in China. The most distinct feature of the 'copies' is that they are embossed with a ROTA marking on the face of the wheel, whereas the genuine ROTA [wheel] has none. They also come with a center cap bearing the 'ROTA Wheels' logo. They are packaged in plain brown boxes. Original ROTA wheels come with boxes that feature ROTA markings and 3D wheel drawings.

"ROTA Wheels undergo rigid testing using JWL/JWL-T standards to assure you that you are purchasing quality wheels. We cannot guarantee the safety of the copies so please be careful with your wheel purchases," said Michael Rojas, president of PAWI.

ROTA and its logo is a registered trademark of Philippine Aluminum Wheels, Inc.

Genuine ROTA Wheels are made proudly in the Philippines.

In other words, copycat wheelmaker Rota is worried about copycats. It's hard to not find that at least a little amusing.

Perhaps Rota has finally risen to the premium-spec brand level they tried to emulate for so long. They finally get to experience what they built their business on — remaking someone else's ideas. Well, you either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain, right? I just hope nobody dies driving around on any of these twice-over-counterfeit rims.

Since it seems the alleged counterfeiters couldn't be bothered to cross-check what sticker they were slapping on their knockoffs, unwittingly knocking off a knockoff, they probably didn't spend a whole lot of time doing R&D for structural integrity.

I feel like these same guys might put a Faux-rrari bodykit on a Fiero, leave the Pontiac badges on the hood, and try to sell it to me as a classic Italian import.

Should Rota be rip roaring mad that someone's stealing their idea, and logo, or is this a case of a copycat’s comeuppance?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Best article EVER!!! Thanks for sharing!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    The Toolman posted this on FB. This is funny!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    NIce!!!!!!!!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Copying someone's else's work is the highest form of flattery(as long as no one gets hurt).

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Oh Rota...

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 429 Posts
    Me being lazy to read... Is this whole commotion about how rota is getting made because other knockoffs are copying them? Even though rota copies legit brands?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    This is funny, a copy cat being copycatted.Good share!
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Drives
    NA6
    Thanks Given
    Is anyone else hoping that the fake fakes are all an elaborate troll from Ray's.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    ^^ In all respects^^

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Since the copy of the copies are being made in China now we should see some great ROTA "Style" wheels for only $99 a set shipped from China!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    I agree Rota wheels are copies of more expensive wheels and this is a bit ironic. They are however, copies of design, not of trademark, nor an outright forgery. That is a huge difference from someone putting your corporate name and logo on a product. Besides, what does it say about the Chinese that they want to make fake Rotas? Are they ignorant of better brands to infringe on trademarks, or are did they think that Rota was a bit player that wouldn't fight back on trademark and patent infringement like the big guys would?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    It's probably more cost effective (cheaper) to buy a dozen sets of popular ROTA wheels than to buy say a set of VOLK, Racing Hart, Work, Panasport, Hayashi, Watanabe, SSR, etc etc, that and im sure the lawyers for the name brand stuff would hunt you down faster if you messed with their brand recognition. And easier to fight ONE lawsuit vs 12 different companies, hhaahaa

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Jeremiah's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White Pearl 2014
    Thanks Given
    http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...-products.html

"The issue here is not that the style is being copied. The wheel industry is incestuous, and successful designs are often interpreted by different companies, both high and low end.

The issue is that Rota is developing it's brand and moving away from the crap wheels that they used to be, much like how Audi moved away from the crap cars they used to build in the 80's and early 90's. By having an outside company use their brand name and logos, Rota doesn't have control over the quality or consistency that (from the consumer perspective) is still associated with the original Rota brand. This is detrimental to Rota's company direction. If corporations are considered "people" what essentially is happening here is corporate identity theft."

I used to rock Rotas in the past (sampled over 13 sets of em on my EP3 and one set on the Miata) and they have never given me any problems. The Subaru guys auto cross with them all the time...imo for the money they are a decent wheel.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, it's so much worse that they have rota engaged on the fakes instead of RAVS Engineering or or VORK Racing

.. Karma is a bitch. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast