Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My story from a base model 97 to a 94 RS-Ltd (pic heavy)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given

My story from a base model 97 to a 94 RS-Ltd (pic heavy)

SKIP TO THE 2ND POST FOR MY CURRENT CAR.

I guess the best place to start is at the beginning. I think it was early 2011 and I was looking for a new car after I had killed my 93 Suzuki Vitara (Geo Tracker to those in the US). I had blown the engine while going up a hill while on the highway engine shrapnel, oil and steam all over my windshield so I pulled over and called a tow truck and got my stuff out the trunk. On many levels I was glad it died, it leaked, it overheated all the time and every year it needed welding to pass inspection.

So I had saved some money and started looking at what I could afford. I originally was looking at the S14's and Z32's but their running costs were too high and what cars were in my range were in poor condition so just by chance I started looking at MX5's. I saw this NA8C online and not far from my home so I took a trip over and talked to the owner. The past owner had lost his job and needed the money more then the car so I felt sorry for the guy and made an offer and took her home.

She was a base model UK spec 1.8. No PS, no AC, open diff but it was in good working order.... well apart from the rust

flash forward 2 weeks and this happened. I could see it drooping in the staff car park and thought I could live with it for a few weeks but on the way back home from work it fell off.

So while I was annoyed about needing parts so soon after getting the car I was also happy to get going on the mods. I gleefully ordered a Racing Beat Power Pulse muffler and race connecting pipe

All was going well until I tried to have it fitted, I didn't know about the 475mm cat. For those who don't know for the last year of production UK/EU NA's had a longer cat meaning not only would the RB pats not fit but if I did want to swap over cats with an older car I'd also need to do something about the down pipe.

So I went on to buy a new 440mm cat and a MX5Parts 421 manifold. The o2 sensor was quite near the end so the wires had to be extended and the EGR valve had to be bent to fit it... long story short I don't recommenced it.

Overtime I got a GV lip and a KG works wing and fitted a set of Meister R coilovers and not seen in this pic a hard top. I even had a set of Trap flares from Rev9 sitting in my room waiting to be used.

Then this happened. The police told me at 2am their was a call from the old coupe next door about a dumped car, well turns out it was mine. Someone had smashed the window and tried to get it started then apparently gave up and started the fire.

that white stuff was a hardtop

a close up of the engine bay. The hood was not removed its actually melted over the engine.

Well after this and dealing with the insurance company I was ready to give up. But I had a supportive SO and friends telling me not to give up and I went on the hunt for my next roadster wiser from my experiences with my first car hopefully making something better at the end of the day.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 09-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    So moving onto the new car a 94 RS Ltd. Ok so not a whole RS. The seats, wheels and lip had been sold off but it still has the the other parts and didn't need much love to get it back in fully order. Also it had a minor rust issue

This is the latest pic. Rust has been sorted and I've also got some use out of those trap flares I had kicking around. along side what you can see mods so far are few HSD coilovers, Fujitsubo manifold. I've got another racing beat kit on order and fingers crossed it should be with me in a few days.

their are still a few things needing to be done but its getting their.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 09-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I like the Trap flares

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I like the Trap flares
    Me Too!!!

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    got my hardtop fitting kit ready for winter... guess the problem.

I will give the seller credit he's sending out the right side tomorrow and responded before I even posted the pic.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 09-18-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    got this a bit sooner then I thought. It came up for sale last night only a few miles away so I had to take a look. £290 for a hardtop that's not heated, to me that's a great price. Its not perfect though, Latches were worn out so I've swapped them with the soft tops latches and its covered in overspray

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Hammy's Avatar
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    What a shame about your first one... Scum those people.

Your RS is looking sweet...and those trap flares are lovely mate

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    thanks. I'm so glad I kept them. I was tempted to sell them to get funds but I think I made the right choice in the long run.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Sorry to hear about your first Roadster. It really upsets me when people have such disregard for others property.
    I'm glad you found another!

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    I felt totally gutted I almost had a breakdown in work the next day at my boss.

but on a lighter note

racing beat kit arrived yesterday and just fitted. Love the quality of these kits and dat sound.

I'm thinking an R package rear lip is needed asap and then I'll start thinking about what wing if any to get.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Filipe Dias's Avatar
    Drives
    Red MX5
    Thanks Given
    Did you bought your RB stuff directly from RB Europe?

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    yes. I was empted to try and import a set but shipping and tax killed that idea. also they have great customer service.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    So this was how I spent last night. I had a leak on the little L pipe connecting to the water pump inlet tube so I had to quickly order a new unit. Off came the aux belt, intake, PS pump and finally the pipe and in with the new (including a gasket and new O-ring). First time doing something so hands on and no issues so I'm quite happy. I've only put regular water in the rad so far as I was planning on doing a flush at the same time however it started to rain.

on a different note my R package front and rear lips have landed in the UK so that's going to be a fun job
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 10-16-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    got the Westco in the mail the size difference is huge. I had an extension made to get the factory clamp to work on the old battery well not anymore. I do have to make a breather pipe as the pipe was missing and the old battery was a sealed unit

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given

rear lip is finally on.

really not much more I want to do to the exterior. I'm thinking side skirts, off set front licence plate, maybe some spacers on the wheels and then depending on my mood a hardtop spoiler or a duck tail.

Interior is up next for that I'm planning on restoring the factory Nardi options and looking into new door speakers and sound proofing... Oh and a quick trip to rev limiter to pick between some Warbirds or Rossa 180's with white LED's... or red not sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast