Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Flyin' Miata's Corvette-powered Mazda Miatas

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

Driving Flyin' Miata's Corvette-powered Mazda Miatas

Driving Flyin' Miata's Corvette-powered Mazda Miatas

Since man first descended from the trees, his brain has been hard-wired to understand two things: the desire to go fast, and the enthusiasm for placing large objects inside slightly smaller objects.

The bipedal primates at Flyin' Miata follow their knuckle-dragging instincts by stuffing 6.2-liter Corvette LS3 V8 engines with as much as 480 hp into, well, the Mazda Miata. Flyin' Miata calls its LS3-powered Miatas the Habu -- which refers to a family of small, venomous snakes predominately hailing from Japan. The Miata is small and hails from Japan. Get it? Don't call it a Cobra.

The Miata's wheelbase is a full 14 inches shorter than the Corvette's. With the latter's engine, the Miata weighs just 200 pounds more than stock -- still some 500 pounds less than a 2013 Corvette. Flyin' Miata claims that the conversion only adds 1 percent more weight to the nose. Testers have clocked 0-60 times in the upper 3s.

Does this sound like fun to you? It ought to. It sure did for us.

The blue car, a 2004, is named "Elvis." Mazda donated it new when it was damaged before it was sold. Well, not donated, per se -- Mazda charged them a dollar. The shop used it as a development car and has torn it down twice, the second time repainting it a Lotus color, Laser Blue. Over its life, it's had four engines.

The red model is the current-generation Miata, "Atomic Betty." Out of the three generations, newer Miatas are reportedly the easiest to shoehorn the big V8 into -- the frame rails are farther apart. Getting the newer car to play nice with the electrics is a challenge, however. General Motors is surprisingly cooperative in this endeavor: since the shop uses a crate motor under warranty, if there's a problem it can be fixed at any GM dealer worth its salt. GM supplies wiring kits, fuse boxes, and a harness that Flyin' Miata swears is "idiot-proof."

Both cars have the latest LS3 crate engine from GM Performance, but the blue car has the "hot cam—" no, really, that's what it's listed in the catalog as. The hot cam boosts horsepower to 480 and sounds lovely -- a raucous burble that comes alive, emanating from the back through twin FM exhausts. It sounds like you're being tailgated by a >Cheetah race car. It is raw, unvarnished, decidedly impudent. Watch the drivers give you berth when they see a Miata -- a Miata, fer Chrissakes! -- coming towards them, sounding like God gargling mesquite chips.

Atomic Betty doesn't have the hot cam; she's a classy lady. Being newer, it also packs on a few more layers of sound deadening, thicker doors, and the overall benefit of six years of engineering development. It also hasn't been torn apart twice.

As a result it's more docile, but also tighter as a whole. Elvis's steering, while light and balanced like a second-generation Miata's should be, has a noticeable dead spot in the center where there's drastically reduced feedback. On Atomic Betty, the steering is accurate throughout. It's great to see how different the characters of the two cars are: both have surprising amounts of traction, never proving to be a handful on the roads of western Colorado. Step out the rear with a firm foot and catch it just as easily. Yet the blue car has that anarchistic hot-rod streak going. It's something I've been saying for years: the only way to make a Miata sound good is to put a V8 engine in it. Sometimes, it's refreshing to see your own validations justified.

Buy a V8 conversion and Flyin' Miata will include what they call the "Big Mama Jama": a Wilwood Stage 1 brake setup with 6-piston calipers up front, 4-piston rears, slotted and drilled rotors and Wilwood pads. The slight squealing tells you that they're working. And they do work well -- pedal modulation is an on-off switch, but a readily controlled one at that. The T56 6-speed transmission, found on both cars, is so tight you might as well reach in between the seats and change cogs with your bare hands. Elvis refused to get into fifth gear, protesting the entire time. Atomic Betty did so, but reluctantly; I nearly needed both of my skinny arms and hands to push it. A little guy, in a little car, with a big engine that -- despite its stock instruments, stock seats, stock gauges, stock sense of cognitive dissonance -- still reminds you of its outrageous power.

Flyin' Miata's entire ground-up conversion costs $43,000. That entails driving or shipping a formerly pristine Miata to its Palisade, Colo., garage, past the neat rows of vineyards. They will immediately set to work installing subframes, chassis bracing, the Big Mama Jama brake kit, a V-MAXX coilover suspension, custom exhaust, and seam welding the frame. Since opening the order bank in 2009, about 19 people have sent their car for conversion -- as we spoke, No. 20 had just signed up.

The price comes with a lot, but it won't cure the lingering notion that there's another Corvette-engined performance car available for the same price. It's called a Chevrolet Corvette.

Yet, Flyin' Miata estimates that of every person that brings their Miata in for a build, three or four people have bought the subframe kits (which they sell for $1,950), scavenged an LS engine from a nearby traffic pile-up, and built a V8 Miata themselves. You know, the American way.

So yes -- for the mechanically unmotivated, the Flyin' Miata Habu is not a cheap option. But ask Flyin' Miata founder Bill Cardell about it, and he has a different response.

"Lots of people want that V8, can't afford it, but don't get the turbo they could afford," said Cardell. "For $5,300, you could get the FMII system, make 250 hp. I worry that you get a young guy who wants that $45,000 V8 he's been dreaming about, but he doesn't get the turbo kit."

Seems in this case there is a replacement for displacement.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2f6gs2obT
    Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

charchri4 (12-17-2013)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    2012-09-15 14.50.18.jpg

2012-09-15 14.53.15.jpg

This is Bill Cardell (Flyin Miata owner) "Elvis" and I, after a track session @ Hallet Racing, in Hallet, Oklahoma. I got to ride 10 laps on that car, it was UNBEFREAKINLIVABLE, as he (Bill) was passing everyone else at the track as if they were just standing...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

WASABI (09-17-2013)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    I could hear you screaming/laughing from the bleachers as you went Flyin' by

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Man I bet that was a blast!!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I could hear you screaming/laughing from the bleachers as you went Flyin' by
    Didn't you get a ride also? Yes, I nearly lost my voice!
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    Man I bet that was a blast!!
    One for the books, some people call it an "e-ticket" ride!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    You need a GoPro camera next time!! I'm sure that was a heck of a rush!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    You need a GoPro camera next time!! I'm sure that was a heck of a rush!
    That's what she said... :O

It was, boss!

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Didn't you get a ride also? Yes, I nearly lost my voice!
    I got a ride in Nancy, the supercharged NC. That was fun, but I'm sure not as fun as Elvis.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Wow, both cars are amazing. You probably will never forget about those 10 laps.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    Wow, both cars are amazing. You probably will never forget about those 10 laps.
    Yes and no... I had the chance to ride on it again during the FM's Summer Camp, but I chose a different ride. Bill Cardell ask me to ride on the car he was driving, and I was more than happy to oblige!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MRnewsBot View Post
    It's something I've been saying for years: the only way to make a Miata sound good is to put a V8 engine in it. Sometimes, it's refreshing to see your own validations justified.
    +1 to that!!!
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/

Idling - Listen to it purr... scannon's Avatar
    Drives
    2019 30AE
    Thanks Given
    A year or so ago I got a ride on the track with Keith Tanner in his Targa Newfoundland V8 Miata. He got the rear end out a bit and I gave a big whoop. He looked at me and asked if I liked that. I said hell yeah. After that every turn was power on oversteer. I was laughing my ass off for the rest of the ride. Not the fastest way around but one of the funnest rides ever.
    2021 Corvette C8, 3LT, HFC, Z51 Rapid Blue
    2021 Honda Accord Sport
    2019 Miata 30AE
    2013 Baby 7, 5/8th scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2014 Crazy Cart modified for adult craziness

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    LS3s are scary fast. I'd never own one.

Idling - Listen to it purr... scannon's Avatar
    Drives
    2019 30AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    LS3s are scary fast. I'd never own one.
    If you think a Miata with an LS3 is scary fast, how about a Lotus 7 clone with an LS6 engine?

A friend has a Stalker (a different 7 clone) with an LS3 in it. 430 hp and 1,500 lb. I drove it with a 5k rpm limit and it was seriously fun and quick. 1st gear is useless except for creeping up the ramps of a trailer. Starting in 2nd he has been getting 3.8 second 0-60 times and is still trying to figure out the best way to launch the car.
    2021 Corvette C8, 3LT, HFC, Z51 Rapid Blue
    2021 Honda Accord Sport
    2019 Miata 30AE
    2013 Baby 7, 5/8th scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2014 Crazy Cart modified for adult craziness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast