Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MattsMiata 91 NA Build/Drift

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    91 White Miata, 94 Black S10
    Thanks Given

MattsMiata 91 NA Build/Drift

Whats up guys! This is my build thread that I'm starting for my 91 Miata that i'm going to be making into a drift car.

So lets begin. I don't want to include the story side but if you guys want to hear about it let me know and ill add it in .

I bought the car for 1250$ out of my own money working as a busboy for 4$ an hour and about 2 days a week and about 3 days if I was going on vacation.

She came with 143k miles on it which is reasonably low for this car.

This is all the goods that she came with:

1. A new 1.6l Motor
    2. A new clutch
    3. KYB GR2's (didn't even know when I bought the car till I put coilovers on it)
    4. A front lip
    5. A factory spoiler which is kind of rare on these cars (its not an R Pack)
    6. 94 + wheels with new tires
    7. An aftermarket exhaust, do not know which brand it is but the piping is bigger then the original and its not welded on.
    8. NO Rust on the outside of the car !! That was a plus
    9. Leather Seats
    10. A/C, PS
    11. Nardi Shift Knob that I sold for like 10$ to a friend which was in poor condition and a Wooden E brake Handle
    12. LSD from what the owner told me, which we tested and POSI

The Bad things that came with the car:

1. A ripped Soft Top.
    2. Non working radio
    3. Altezza tail-lights
    4. Paint was bad on front bumper
    5. Paint on car was terrible
    6. Overspray on the windows....
    7. No E Brake
    8. Small Oil Leak I do not know where from. Its from the engine though!

Here are pictures of the car when I first got it. Really didn't take a lot because who knew I would be starting a build thread lol.

The day that I picked her up:

Ohh and by the way here is a picture of my daily which is my S10:

Also here is a picture of my dad's project car he is building besides the other 2 that he has lol:

Well lets get the build started everyone !

So we took the front bumper off here is a before and after shot:

Next we took off the gas cap, trunk lid because the original plan was to paint it but some fights got in the way and I said Fuck It leave it the way it is because its gonna get banged up anyway. Needless to say we primed both of them with actual spray gun primer. Ohh and those Altezza's lol.

Next we took off the passenger door and fender because they had dents. Got into a fight about the door dent because I want to drive it so bad (Impatient) and also bought another door for 75$ because this door had a broken window regulator.

Then we fixed the radio. It was only a wire that wasn't plugged in. Here is a before and after:

Here is a random photo that I took of the engine lol:

Now here is all the paint stuff put together:

Sorry about the darkness on this but it is primed.

Back on the car:

Painted the spoiler but it was half assed. Going to get a KG works Spoiler instead.

Here is the Front Bumper with the lip. Sorry about not painting the lip. I really don't care about the lip color because its gonna get destroyed or even ripped off when I go to drift:

Here are more pictures of the car and the upsetting thing I found. Basically the car is gutted but all the carpet and stuff is going back in:

Thank god its only on the ECU case and it can be taken off lol. Still not a good thing.

Painted the driver side floor though, I gave up on that part but I am going to wire wheel the rust on the passenger side:

Some more photo's:

Last edited by MattsMiata; 04-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    On Thanksgiving I remember putting a WTB thread on CR.net and I had a guy pm me a couple days back about a set of Stance Coils. Needless to say I got them for 875 never abused at all and were 9k/8k and came with original 6k springs for 875$ free shipping on the other guys end. Awesome man and helped go through the whole process of buying them! Thanks Kris!!

After a week or so after that I started doing my door. Replacing the broken parts with the good ones I got off the other door which I spent 75$ on. Junked that after though. Got hinges and glass if anyone needs them.

Before:

After:

So Christmas passed by and my parents couldn't afford to be able to buy me a roll bar so I got cash towards one and found one. Bought if for 400$ and its a Hard Dog Hardcore Double Hard Top bar. Got some other goodies with it as a package deal. Cant beat what I spent.

All together I spent 600$ and this is what I got with it also and both are worth more then what I paid for

Me and my friend that im in a little street crew with helped me put my rear coil overs in. Lost a nut and broke a bolt got all the parts though and the nut is on now and all tight and secured. Here are the picture's that shows its justice. How it was such a crappy day out and it got worse lol, don't wanna talk about it LOL.

Picture of just a test fit of the bumper:

During the time I was also looking for a hard top. Posted an ad on Craigslist (love that site) and wanted to buy a hardtop for about 600$ because that was my budget to spend. Lucky enough I got an email from a guy that had one and in great condition for 600$. Went to go look at it and dumbass me forgot to bring another 50$ and when I gave him my big wad of cash he said wow and my dad said thats his hard earned pizza money haha. The guy said you know what ill let you have it for 550$ your gonna need to get the side latches that go into the car anyway. Score for me and couldn't be any happier. No defroster or headliner which I don't care about and came with all the latches inside the top !!

Major progress started after that ^ and here is my bar and all installed. Also bought a harness bar because I wanted bucket seats and harnesses but that has changed now.

Drives
    Thanks Given

Lol ^ test fit of my dads 5 lug 255/60/15 wheels that would have been going on the camaro. The rims themselves are still gonna be on the car.

Top installed with the roll bar. Real race car status lol, kinda spec miata lol jkjk.

Wheel installed but not all the way screwed in. Had to come up with a horn solution and we bought a mini button so that is the next thing, besides a little more which I will explain later on.

Here she is out of the garage with the rear coils on and all, fronts are coming up in just a little bit!

Race car status ^ not really lol.

picked up the OEM tails for 40$ off a car that was getting parted. really good deal if you ask me. This was a while back though.

Then I picked these up for 800$ including free mounting and balancing, Lugs, Tires, and BBS Stickers lol. They are also REPS

Tire Specs are 195/45/15 and wheels are 15x8 et 20 ! They are STR I rather just have the BBS on there. Makes it look a lot better.

Here is how she sits now and still needs a lot more done to it

ohh and here is me working on it lol, got the front coils in. Only took 2 days because I forgot the tools the first day (all we had was wrenches and a 3/8 drive with american sockets lol, still got a lot done though so wasn't to bad) and had to go the next day and it took about 30 min to get the passenger one out. What a bitch it was.

I need to raise the front and lower the back and have it sitting at the height where its suitable for me and the track!

What needs to be done still:

2. Replace all the bulbs
    3. Take off front bumper to get it flush with the fenders
    4. Put seats back in
    5. Fix the rust.
    8. All the carpet back in
    9. Get inspected
    10. Get painted
    11. Full Tune Up
    12. Find and fix where the oil leak is
    13. get alignment and corner balanced.
    14. Go to events and have a fucking blast, and FiND MORE SETS OF WHEELS

Put it this way there is still a lot to get done on here before she is near perfect and road/track worthy. More updates to come though guys so stayed tuned
    Last edited by MattsMiata; 04-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattsMiata For This Useful Post:

atank (05-14-2014),tsingson (04-02-2014),WASABI (04-23-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Looking good !! keep it up!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Looking good !! keep it up!
    Thanks brotha and will do without a doubt! Ill keep you guys informed whenever I can and get the time to.

Ohh by the way my KYB GR2's are for sale so if anyone wants them let me know. I prefer local pickup unless buyer is willing to pay shipping just to let everyone know. I got a few parts that im willing to sell so any interested let me know asap!

Idling - Listen to it purr... Codersozer's Avatar
    Drives
    92 Blue Miata
    Thanks Given
    You should sell me your altezzas.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Codersozer View Post
    You should sell me your altezzas.
    Ill do like 150$ for them. They cost like 300$ new so ill go half. Let me know man PM me on here.

Drives
    92 Blue Miata
    Thanks Given
    Nevermind, Ill buy the $50 ebay ones!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Nevermind, Ill buy the $50 ebay ones!
    I honestly thought they were like 300$ lol. On ebay thats what they said. My bad brotha. I was planning on keeping them anyway just incase I hit the wall and what not so I have spare.

Drives
    92 Blue Miata
    Thanks Given
    No biggy dude, Ive always liked the look of them painted red. Try it and see how you like it.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Car is making great progress! Looking good.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    No biggy dude, Ive always liked the look of them painted red. Try it and see how you like it.
    i was thinking about tinting them red because they would look cool like that haha!

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Car is making great progress! Looking good.
    Thanks brotha. Ill keep it updated as best as I can!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Did some DIY today. As I want to drive my car on the road I need a horn button. Whole thing costed about 8$ to make which isnt to bad. Bought the horn button for 8$ off of ebay and drilled the top of it black piece out where it sits because there is an indent in it. Kinda gave me a hard time because the piece would spin constantly, made the hole wide enough that I was able to take a screwdriver (flathead) and rotate it around to make it have a smooth surface and circle which it did and the button fitted snug. Also made the hole just right so no over lapping and nothing other holes were made. After that I really never used a dremel before but my dad had one laying around and I though im going to use this instead of cutting the plastic with a hobby knife. Made drill holes around the 2nd piece also because there is a rectangle thing blocking from it going through. Used the dremel and cut right through it no problem so its hollow now. Had to bend the connectors so I can fit a wire through them and have no problems with them contacting each other. Sorry if it doesn't make sense but the pictures will explain:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well a little update but no pictures:

Lowered my car now so it sits all even now (need fenders rolled and spacers) need bigger tires because not a big fan of low profile tires.

Got expired harnesses - Simpsons for 10$ took a gamble but track requires updated harnesses, for driving around they will be good for now.

Made myself a horn button and it works.

Got my steering wheel on finally and is all bolted up and connected.

Ordered a new balljoint since mine was ripped and you could see the grease coming out.

Took off my bumper again and need to get it all nice and smooth with the fenders so that will break my balls a little.

Thats really it for now.

What I need:
    Bucket Seats (working on that, looking on craigslist everyday)
    New Harnesses (or oem belts i can put back in) because of track rules and regs , and rather be safe anyway.

Get the car on the lift and find my oil leak even though I looked before but couldn't diagnose.

Make my own tow hooks in some way.

Re adjust my ebrake again and might get some pads if I need them. Good though to replace anyway.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Heres an update for you guys, scratch the bucket seats off the list becauss I bought a pair of F1 Spec Type 5 seats for her! Here are the only pictures I took. They are in great condition and practically brand new! So physced!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MattsMiata For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-24-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast