Thread: Race Ramps

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts

Race Ramps

After years of dealing with my old steel ramps, I decided to invest in a set of Race Ramps and wish I had done it sooner. With my old ramps, especially working alone, I'd be getting in and out of the car to reposition wooden planks in front of the ramps because everything would slide around when driving up.

I got some plastic Rhino Ramps which were nice and lighter than the metals ones and along with their rubber feet, wouldn't slide around but I was still left with the problem of placing wooden planks before the ramps but then the wood slid around. I'm sure I could have applied some home engineering into it and rubberized the bottom of the wood or cut angles into them to allow better fitment but I just got burned out on ramps by this point.

Enter Race Ramps. These are a very lightweight composite and come in a myriad of sizes and applications. Since I'm always dealing with lowered vehicles, my first condition was that the ramps be low enough so that I didn't need to place planks in front of them, check. Then I wanted ramps that didn't bust my back before I even started working on the car, check. Then, not a priority but it would be nice to have ramp part removable, leaving the car on stands, check check and check.

At first, I was going to get the 56" then the 67" but decided on the 87" two-piece because they would easily work for Miatas and Corvettes, even lowered ones. For a few dollars more, I opted for the heavy-duty versions with provide for 2500lbs per corner, up from 2000lb. I'd probably never need the extra capacity but for a few dollars more, what the heck.

These are a real joy to use. They're unbelievable light and easy to position. Best part: no more getting in and out of the car repositioning everything over and over. I can place the ramps once, drive up and get to work without the aforementioned hassle which leaves me fresh to start work. If I need to, I can remove the ramp parts, leaving the car on the "crib" parts and be able to easily move all around underneath.

I also got a set of two-piece "cribs" that combined with the fronts, can place the car high enough on all fours to do suspension work, change fluids on a level position, install frame rails easily or whatever. I can't say enough good things about Race Ramps without sounding like I work for them. Sure, they cost more than average ramps which is why I said I invested in them but considering the time, frustration and pain they've saved me, I wish I had invested in these a long time ago.

The usual joy of getting big brown boxes from the big brown truck

Two-piece cribs

Comparison to Rhino Ramp

Note the height difference

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

RuckkehrMiata (01-20-2014)

Thanks Given
    Glad I got the 87" version because they barely clear my Corvette

First test with a Miata. Drove up so nice on the long, gradual incline compared to the high rev'ing and braking with a steep incline

Oh yeah, picked up a set of Race Ramp chocks which can be used on the rear like here or on top of the Race Ramps

View of the ramps removed for better access. We were trying to spot an oil leak which was easy now since I could scoot in from the side and shine the flashlight up on the motor

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Dandy (01-20-2014),RuckkehrMiata (01-20-2014)

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    These look amazing!

Were they prohibitively expensive, or just obnoxiously?
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 530 Posts
    Two questions you didn't address. Cost, and where you bought them from. I think I need some of these.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

RotorNutFD3S (01-20-2014)

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Two questions you didn't address. Cost, and where you bought them from. I think I need some of these.

Yes, these are very important issues that should be addressed.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    These look amazing!
    Were they prohibitively expensive, or just obnoxiously?
    Within those two options, I would say they fall into obnoxiously expensive or less. Of course, that is subjective depending on how much you value your time and frustration level.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Sure Chief. I usually don't like to mention what I pay for things because it can be taken the wrong way. I bought everything from Reverse Logic http://www.reverselogic.us/ (Contact Fredric Gwinn fred@reverselogic.us). They are an eBay dealer as well. He actually called me to make sure I wanted the 87" version or something shorter and less expensive. Also mentioned that if I bought from them directly, prices would be lower because there wouldn't be any eBay markup. Apparently, Race Ramps makes custom versions for only them to resell so I opted for the heavy duty versions for $30 more.

Costs: The 87" two-piece ramps with upgraded heavy duty option cost $480. The two-piece wheel cribs were $165 for the set. Then deduct the 10% discount for purchases over $200 ($645-$64.50) and total was $580 with free shipping and no taxes. Then there was a 10% rebate for a grand total of $522.

Of course, you can get Race Ramps much, much cheaper if you opt for shorter, one-piece, non heavy-duty version. I got 87" because the Vette is so low it needs them, overkill for a Miata though. A typical or lowered Miata could use the 56" version for under $200.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

BoBo (02-14-2014),Dandy (01-20-2014),RotorNutFD3S (01-20-2014),RuckkehrMiata (01-20-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Nice, I have been cussin' my rhino ramps for a while.
    Thanks for the links.
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

Thanks Given
    Thanks for the review, I may have to pick some of these up.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    It's definitely worth every dollar, I value time and convenience. I have a set of ramps that I bought many years ago when O'rilley's was called Kragen for $50, but it's no where near as good as this RaceRamps. Thanks for the review.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-14-2014)

Thanks Given
    Thanks man. They are definitely worth every dollar. Once you get a set, you're good for life. They're an investment but your time and convenience are important too.

And if you have lil' kids, these make for great bike ramps as well. ;)

No todo que es oro brilla.