Thread: Road Star

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I would also get a pin/bolt through both pieces, just for peace of mind if the weld cracks at any point (although it looks really proper)
    Definitely. After the final mock up to make sure the new adapter length was correct, I drilled and tapped it since I don't have any press fit pins.

A couple of things I forgot to mention about using the Miata upper tube. That also allowed me to clock the motor to anywhere I wanted it. Using the GM tube I would have only 3 positions to choose from. I ended up putting it in about the 4 o'clock positon. It still slightly rubs against the HVAC housing box and peaks out from under the dash a tiny bit, but I thought fit the best. Also, the GM tube is slightly larger, maybe 1mm, but the bracket for the ignition cylinder and clock spring would have required some work to make it fit nicely with the larger tube. Now it bolts up like factory.

The last pic above also shows the firewall mount cut down where it could fit nicely over the end of the shaft. Then I hit them with some satin black paint and reassembled it. Last thing was to swap over the ignition, stalks and clock spring.

The bracket is held on by some tamper resistant screws that look kind of like rivets. They're screws though, so just cut a slot into them and drive them out. Transfer everything over to the proper place and voila, a hybrid Miata EPAS column.

Installing it will probably be more work than building it It's pretty heavy with the motor and squirming around under the dash with the pedals in the way isn't going to be fun. Wiring is very simple though, so I'm almost ready to test it out.
    Last edited by druz; 09-21-2019 at 06:14 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (10-24-2019),HarryB (09-21-2019),MiataQuest (09-21-2019),tsingson (09-25-2019)