Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing seat recommendations (NA) for miata

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Racing seat recommendations (NA) for miata

A lot of manufacturers are good about listing detailed dimensions. A good way to take your measurements for hips and waist is to place two cinder blocks on the ground, parallel to each other and sit between them. It helps to have somebody gently push them up to your hips. You can also take another pair of blocks, stand them on their ends and push those up to your rib cage as you sit between the first pair and lean your back against a wall.

Measure the distance between the pairs of cinder blocks to compare them against the manufacturers measurements.

Alternately, you can make a crude cardboard buck from the seat's listed measurements and test fit it in the car. Doesn't need to be fancy, just representative of the overall dimensions.

A lot of race seats have upholstery that is easy to remove so you can add shapes of foam between the seat shell and the upholstery to fit your body shape or preferences.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by psulja View Post
    Yes I did read the spreadsheet you mentioned. But a lot of seats I saw people fitting weren't on that list or didn't fit their dimensions.

I think I should be able to find that link, in case others want to check it.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php
    Make sure to double check that list. A lot of those seats have either been discontinued or have gone through a redesign. Just check the manufacturers site to confirm the specs. The corbeau forza and cobra monaco come to mind, I think they've gotten a tad wider. My cobra monaco (not in miata, e30 lemons car) measures a hair over 22 inches at the shoulders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12