Thread: singe din radio kit from Roadster Tech

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2004 MSM
    Thanks Given

singe din radio kit from Roadster Tech

So I track my 2004 MSM and I also daily drive it. I would like to replace the double din bose unit with a good single din solution and put in three gauges above the radio in the newly created upper din space. I have purchased the Thompson Gauge plate and it fits nicely (with a bit of shrink tubing on the legs) by friction in the upper din slot. The single din radio is the problem. Because I am want to use a gauge plate, the common solution that came with my radio from Crutchfield, Metra 99-7505, will not work. This leaves the radio din sleeve to hold the entire unit in place. Because of where the NB HVAC controls are located the metal tabs on the din sleeve cannot lock the din sleeve solidly in place as only 1 tab can be bent, leaving the entire system loose, making it likely to pop out during spirited driving or worse at the track.

What solutions are people using to mount a single din radio in their miatas with a gauge plate? Other than using a metal strap inside the dash, or a big piece of double stick tape.

The radio kit from ROADSTER tech who was active here as late as 2014 seems like a great solution. Unfortunately I cannot receive a response from Rick Brillhart, the owner by email (been about 2 months trying) and their phone is stuck on busy.

The Metra kit sold by Crutchfield would work nicely if I did not use a Gauge plate and use the other space for a cubby.

There seems to be several nice solutions for NA miatas (DDM works looks nice) but nothing other than the Metra and Roadstertech solutions for the NB that I can find.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    I sent Rick a PM a couple weeks ago about a different item. He hasn't answered me either

Drives
    2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Yes he posted an apology on the forum citing issues with closing one of his businesses and mentioned some family health issues. Hope he is ok.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    I spoke to Rick last fall and sadly he'd said RoadsterTech would be on hiatus for the unforeseen future. Was also looking for one of his racks. Still haven't found any alternatives than the Metra piece which I already have (and REALLY don't like). Also keen to hear from others of any other options?

Drives
    2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    A forum member on the mazda-speed.com site has the ability to make a radio plate that is specific for the NB. He has options for gauge holes and a single din radio. If I purchase one of these, I will post a review here. He frequents the forum monthly so I am not sure the time frame to complete the job, we are still in mid conversation by PMs regarding color, thickness, and whether the lower opening dimension is radio specific like the RoadsterTech product.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 434 Posts
    Sorry to hear about Rick at Roadster Tech. I get the sense that his small side business was never more than a hobby interest for him but it's still sad to lose another vendor. This is just another reminder that you should buy stuff while you still can because there's no guarantee that any item will be available tomorrow. Don't go getting yourself into crazy debt buying stuff you can't afford, but definitely do patronize the sponsors and help keep them in business and if there's something you absolutely must have then buy it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-19-2016),revlimiter (02-19-2016),tsingson (05-27-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Maybe jass has something similar? If I am not mistaken there arw vendors over there, like Miataroadster for jass products

Drives
    2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    I contacted Jass as well. Currently they do not have a radio cage for the NB (MK2-2.5). But they said they are working on one.