Thread: NA6 Panasonic, adding mp3 player input

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given

NA6 Panasonic, adding mp3 player input

Got my mp3 player (iPhone) hooked up to my original Panasonic audio. Note the 3.5mm audio jack in the passengers side console blanking plate.

Plug in and mp3's play, remove plug and it reverts back to radio.

Because I have no CD, the CD input plug is used to input the signal from the mp3 player

Here is the components disassembled.

There is a 13 pin DIN socket in the back of the headunit. In the original installation a small plug, shown lower left, loops the audio signal out and back into the headunit. If you remove the plug the headunit will make no sound.

The 13 pin plug pins out like this. This is looking at the back of the headunit

So you will need to make a cable like this. Note that the 3.5mm Stereo Audio Socket is switchable, so that when no device is inserted, it loops the output signal back into the headunit.

Parts required:
    13 pin DIN plug
    5 pin Female 3.5mm Stereo Audio Socket
    4 core shielded cable

The four cores of the cable are used for the signal and the cable shield is the ground.

I used a radio transmitter to play mp3's prior to this mod and have found the sound through this cable to be much improved.

Cheers

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malibu Q For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-01-2014),iKhanh (04-01-2014),kung fu jesus (04-01-2014),The Driver (04-02-2014),tsingson (04-01-2014),WASABI (04-01-2014)