Thread: Question concerning changing side mirrors

Idling - Listen to it purr... Erik's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Red Miata
    Thanks Given

Question concerning changing side mirrors

Hello everyone, I have been browsing Mazdaroadster for quite a while now, but for the first time, I have a noobie question to which I found no answer, so I am registered!

I drive a 90 miata. I'm thinking about changing my side mirrors, because both are old and crummy, and last year I had to glue them in place because, well, they're just done with. I could potentially repair them at a low cost, but I'm thinking all the hassle may not be worth it. There are a few things that are on my mind right now.

I want to know if I can replace my mirrors with mirrors not-so-intended to be on the miata NA. For example, if the pattern dimensions are not the same, how can I get around this? Can I simply cover the old holes up with bondo or something of the likes and make new ones? Or could that cause problems? I'd really like to not have to go through that kind of hassle, but there are some very cool much cheaper mirrors than the ones "made" to fit in the miata door socket.

I am a big fan of these mirrors, but like I said, not sure about the pattern and such: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-...-/221422517248

I also want to know if there is a no-no in terms of how long the mirror arm is, will it cause adjustment problems, or maybe even be too wide, (also, even though these say they fit the miata, I'm not sure 100% because you get no measurements, just pictures) because my second option so far is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/F3-style-ABS...-/281318529773

If anyone can vouch for any of these mirrors if you have them, it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    What you can do if you want to use mirrors that are not meant for these cars is eaither drill new holes, or if you want to save the door from extra holes is make a mating piece. Kind of like a spacer, but you'll most like have to fabricate it up yourself as asking a shop to this this will be very expensive.

Also you can check the mirror thread we have on here for more options.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....rket-for-miata!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Erik (04-27-2014)

Drives
    1990 Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks, found some useful info in the mirror thread. I feel silly for not looking there in the first place.

Also found a thread on club roadster where a poster showed the evolution of his "adapters", or mating pieces, if anyone is interested.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/86-...n-mirrors.html

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Hey op. There is a company called Runabout that sells a miata specific mirror very similar to what you linked.

The mirror in question is the runabout s800. Check it out.
    http://rev9autosport.com/runabout-s800-mirrors.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-28-2014)

Drives
    1990 Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    They're very nice, but holy cow, 250$ +48$ shipping worth of mirrors... I guess that's the price for avoiding the hassle of making a mating piece and being certain that it'll adjust right...

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    There is another company that makes something similar. They are called east coast miata, or west coast miata. I don't remember.

If it makes you feel any better runabout m2s are 375+ plus sing.

Drives
    1990 Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    At least east coast miata is 75$ cheaper.. didn't check shipping though. I actually really like the east coast miata ones, even moreso than the S800s, I'll definitely post whatever I decide to do/get this summer in the mirror thread, thanks.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power imperfekt's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    i have east coast miata mirrors on my car. i like them so much

they bolt right up, only thing is the footprint where the mirror attaches isn't the same size or shape - so it left a ridge of sorts, an indent the depth of the factory paint so i had to sand it down smooth and repaint the door :\ and if you don't have power mirrors, you'll also have to drill an extra hole.