Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is heat soak?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mini_fd View Post
    That's the tops and not at all a conservative number. Plus 5hp is nothing once boost kicks in. :]
    My NA got an NA engine, where boost is NA.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    In my experience, and I have run turbos and a s/c on the same car, the turbos took more attention to control the heat. The Greddy one especially, but the custom one that I pieced together from an FM3 manifold and gt2554 was easier. I believe that was because the FM manifold locates the turbo much lower in the engine bay, among a few other things.

Still, the JRSC I installed later wasn't as hot as either turbo. A lot of that depends on how fast you spin up the s/c, though. I ran mine at the kit's stock 6psi, then 8 with a crank pulley overlay. At 8, it did make the s/c hotter, but still nothing like the turbo. Still, I suppose you could make the case that the S/C blocks or soaks the heat from the exhaust manifold directly below it. I used a manifold blanket with the S/C and it helped a lot.

I remember a few times with the turbos, despite a turbo blanket and shielding, I saw steam rising off the hood right over the spot the turbo sits when it rained.

scbm1.jpg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-14-2014),Slampen (06-14-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    To help out with my heats oak engine bay running 13lbs of boost, I added the oem under tray which dramatically reduced my water temps. I am constantly reading them on my gauge. I am also installing proper lava heat wrap on all radiator hoses near and around the turbo/exhaust manifold. I am also rerouting the cooling system with m-tuned coolant reroute system with gold adhesive relative tape on the fire wall along with the aluminum 8 inch pipe flyin' miata included in there turboII KIT right before the throttle body where the iat sensor is located in. I added royal purple's rain additive (forgot the actual name) into my cooling system. Silicone hoses also help reduce heat soaked air temps with my intercooler other then using regular metal piping. I do plan to get a vented bonnet of some sort whether it be GV or on made by my body guy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mini_fd For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (06-14-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    I have a SC and a turbo on my car so my input might be worthwhile.

My intake temps have been lower with a turbo compared to the SC. Yes, a turbo can glow red hot after very serious driving. So can your headers. The fact is that hot exhaust is running through a turbo the same way it runs through an exhaust. But the Roots style SC makes a ton of heat with the two screws spinning next to each other.

My coolant temps have been the same though between the SC and turbo. I run around 205 degrees in the middle of day heat. (That isn't over heating. Your gauge lies to you.)

To give you an idea of heatsoak and how it affects your car. In the middle of a Florida afternoon, it can be in the 80s and 90s. On a NA car, my intake temps were around 120-130 degrees. When I had the SC installed WITHOUT an intercooler running 5 psi, I had intake temps of 220. It was stupid.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I<3flippyheadlights For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (06-14-2014),kung fu jesus (06-14-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    It's not the heat of the actual part that will increase intake temp guys.. the air is blasting through super fast anyway that it isn't going to be increased by much. Compressing air period will yield an increase in temperature. However with a supercharger, you're exposing more air to more heated material for a slightly longer duration in time, meanwhile by design of the turbo the hot air isn't being compressed for so long in the actual housing and significantly less air at any one moment is exposed to the hotter housing. Which is why down the line you'll see on higher boost applications turbos will usually yield lower AITs.

However all those issues can be mitigated with appropriate steps.

Anyway, heat soak is when certain component critical to the breathing capability of the engine become hot. Most people I've talked to don't seem to think an intake piping being hot matters much since the design of intake piping isn't to cool the air anyway and the distance traveled is so short it hardly matters. But when you start throwing in an intercooler who's job it is is to cool the gases then you start to lower it's ability to do the job correctly since it no longer has a larger disparity between it's cold temperature to the hot temp of the gases.

I'd recommend buying the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it's what I have and it may have been written ages ago but the theory behind the application remains unchanged. I'd highly recommend getting that book.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DK Wolf For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-15-2014),mini_fd (06-15-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Ditto on 'Maximum Boost'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12