Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about this car's value

Idling - Listen to it purr... tofuboi's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '91
    Thanks Given

Question about this car's value

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I just acquired this '91 miata and found this forum searching online. I wanted to post here to ask what you guys think this car is worth here in Seattle, WA state.

It's a 1991 miata base 5spd, power nothing, no a/c. Low miles though, 72k. Clean title. I think its all stock, just has some kind of roll hoops behind the seat which I think are aftermarket. It's got a new top with glass window which is nice.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by tofuboi; 06-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Sell it ASAP, they go for more in the summer. Options matter less and less as cars age. Considering the excellent looking condition, you might get 5K for it. Although I wouldn't take a penny less than $3,000 worst case scenario. Since this seems to be a good example (with the excepting of the junk "roll bar"), you might want to keep it as an investment if you have a good place to store it. These cars are appreciating, and clean ones are getting very hard to find.

FYI, @72K it needs a timing belt and other things if not done already.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Well just from the pics you have posted it looks really clean, and rust free, do you have any maintenance records? With the low miles, and if its rust free, I think it the minimum value would be $3k+........ Welcome to MazdaRoadster.net!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives
    Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyr0monk3y View Post
    Sell it ASAP, they go for more in the summer. Options matter less and less as cars age. Considering the excellent looking condition, you might get 5K for it. Although I wouldn't take a penny less than $3,000 worst case scenario. Since this seems to be a good example (with the excepting of the junk "roll bar"), you might want to keep it as an investment if you have a good place to store it. These cars are appreciating, and clean ones are getting very hard to find.
    Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to do. As much as I love a roadster in the summer, I'm looking more for cash than another car. I might post it up on the local classifieds, if I don't get what I want for it, maybe store it in the garage for next year lol.

FYI, @72K it needs a timing belt and other things if not done already.

Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    Well just from the pics you have posted it looks really clean, and rust free, do you have any maintenance records? With the low miles, and if its rust free, I think it the minimum value would be $3k+........ Welcome to MazdaRoadster.net!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, I don't have any maintenance records, my buddy got it from the original owner who did everything himself, I believe the timing belt was changed a few years ago before 70k miles. I'm hoping for closer to 5k as my friend owes me more than that. I'm just trying to recoup as much as I can now, then have him pay me back the difference when he can, which could be ages.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Unless you are in a hurry to sell, start @ 5,500 and work your way down. Not a fan of red, but evevn with the aftermarket soft top, car looks clean.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Unless you are in a hurry to sell, start @ 5,500 and work your way down. Not a fan of red, but evevn with the aftermarket soft top, car looks clean.
    Nice, I think I'll start around there. I'm not a fan of red either, on the miata I like silver actually, has a clean look to it.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    that is a $5000 car here in Florida all day long, maybe a bit more if you go the eBay route. Welcome to the forum! Maybe list it for sale on here as well, we have a lot of folks that just lurk in the Classifieds section, you never know!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Easy 4k+, you just have to wait for the right buyer.You can still sell these cars for a decent price even with 200k on the motor, as long as the body is straight. People will always want a low maintenance fuel efficient roadster. Parts for these cars are ultra cheap compared to other cars out there.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Clean looking red Miata. Give the car a good wash and detailing and take nice hi-res pics. It will help you sell the car faster.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the input guys! Now I know what I'm looking at realistically. It's weird driving one of these lightweight FR cars, its so easy to slip out the rear end not even driving it hard! I'm spoiled by subaru and its "deathgrip" awd lol.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    You better watch out, you might fall in love with it. These cars have a way of making friends with their owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given
    Problem is you're asking enthusiast what the car is worth. At $5500 I'd be dumbfounded if you get any interest. Here in Florida a red NA with a hardtop can be found for $1k. Maybe not as nice or as low of miles but the cars are abundant. "Appreciating" probably not, but they probably have hit the bottom for NA's, as NB, and NC's continue to drop

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4516959633.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Unk577 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-14-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Unk577 View Post
    Problem is you're asking enthusiast what the car is worth. At $5500 I'd be dumbfounded if you get any interest. Here in Florida a red NA with a hardtop can be found for $1k. Maybe not as nice or as low of miles but the cars are abundant. "Appreciating" probably not, but they probably have hit the bottom for NA's, as NB, and NC's continue to drop

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4516959633.html
    Pricing is a very regional thing. As you well know I'm from FL, but I've lived in So Cal and currently live in CO. Clean west coast cars are pricier because they are harder to find, as they are driven year round. I gave the o.p. a reasonable number, based on how the market behaves in this region. Lower unemployment, higher salaries than FL or even the entire South, comes into play.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given
    Here is what he is competing with in the $5500 range. A couple of 95 M's, some good NB's, etc. there is even a NC hardtop for $1500 if anyone is interested. You can ask anything you want for it. If you need money soon then I wouldn't start at $5500. If you have months or even years then go for it.
    Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I've owned and sold a couple of these cars

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4515381798.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4514121896.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4514030645.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4518194626.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4518998602.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4520640791.html

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Now you are comparing apples to oranges. An auto NB? A high miles M? You actually confirmed what I stated.

When selling a car it's always easier to lower the price, than to increase it.

BTW, not just miles or similar equipment is important. That M car has a pic with either a shadow or a probable repaint. Threr are many variables involved in pricing a car.

Would I pay 5 grand for a red Miata? No, I wouldn't take it unless it was free. But a clean, sub 100K 5 speed car, on its original paint is worth something.

I too have owned and sold a couple of this cars, I've also lived in a number of areas and seeing how much people paid to get a clean Miata.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-14-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast