Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Everything RDU 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yesterday we took my wifes car to raleigh to have the windows tinted.it was 130.00 for legal tint suntek tint lifetime warranty. I asked him how much to tint a miata just two doors and he quoted me 50.00. I think thats a good price what do you guys think ?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    96 na base model
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBMX5 View Post
    Yesterday we took my wifes car to raleigh to have the windows tinted.it was 130.00 for legal tint suntek tint lifetime warranty. I asked him how much to tint a miata just two doors and he quoted me 50.00. I think thats a good price what do you guys think ?
    Where did you go if you don't mind me asking? I had my windows tinted on my old gti and loved it in the summer time. Will probably start shopping around again for the new car when it starts to get warmer.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Sounds pretty good. I am just not sure about tint here in NC. One inspection place will say it's ok and another will say it's not. I would just rather not give police a probable cause to pull me over. Lived in Cali way too long to know this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (12-23-2014)

Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Well untill the miata i have always had window tint and i have always used legal tint. Most inspection shops have a gun just like the police use to check window tint unless you go to a shop in the boonies because you have other issues that wont pass and you like a header and blocked egr valve lol thats the shop i go to by the way. As far as the police go . I have only been pulled over once for a window tint check. It was in my mazda p5 showcar. I was leaving hot import nights car show and police were all around that show pulling people over with window tint to see if it was legal.If the police are pulling you over for window tint you can bet they are going to have a way to check to make sure its legal and if it is you will be fine but in this area unless your driving around in circles around a police station with limo tint they usuially dont bother you.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    probably going to want the triangle windows done as well...

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    It's not so much the fact that it's more than likely legal. It's just the hassle of being pulled over. I just try not to give them any reason to pull me over. Take it from me, it sucks when they pull you over for a modified exhaust and then start going over the entire car. I am sure my wheels don't help me much as far as standing out but I can deal with that. At least they can see me and what I am doing.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I am in Anthony's train of thought. I just don't want the police to have another reason to pull me over. I WANT them to see my grey hair and let me move along.

From an anthropometric point of view (ergonomics and saftey), side windows tinted can give you tunnel vision and restrict your peripheral view.

The only tint I have considered is the 3m Crystalline in 95% (allows 95% light through, all around, to save the dashboard and keep the car cooler when parked. Still I have a friend who has been pulled over twice for it (on the windshield). The police see it while they watch traffic. I would guess they are wearing polarized sunglasses, which makes it easy to spot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-23-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    The Crystalline is the one I have been wanting to get but Steven is right about seeing them through polarized lenses.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    In NC the legal tint limit is 35% for sides and rear glass. Windshield is 35% above the AS-1 line (basically where people put banners). 35% is dark enough to cut down on summer heat and make it more difficult to see into your car, but not so dark that it has a heavy influence to see out of. Of course, it's going to vary depending on how sensitive to light your eyes are.

Yet, it's common for those driving trucks to get away with much more on the back glass.

At worst, it's a fix-it ticket and the officer could force you to remove it on the spot. They usually do have a tint meter to check it in their patrol cars. Inspection stations must have them as well as it's required they check it during safety inspections if present.

I have had 35% on my '00 Monte Carlo for years, never been given any trouble for it.

But with a Miata, the appeal of tint is lessened for me. Top goes down as much as possible in the warmer months. Plus, I rather not put anyone through the hassle of tinting the backglass (NB top on NA) while having to work around the rollbar.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-23-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    More food for thought...

Getting pulled over with tinted windows makes a cop that much more nervous.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-23-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I have left both my Expedition and CRV with what they came with from the factory. It's just easier. Peace of mind. And for those hot days? Remote start on both. One of the best investments that I have made especially coming from up North.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! TimTim's Avatar
    Drives
    2007 Yaris Eco-Slush
    Thanks Given
    Remote start on a manual trans car parked in gear is an impressive stunt. If it isn't your car, it is like watching the beta test of some new-fangled automomous launch control. If it is your car, you're probably more interested in how the autonomous stopping happens.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I had it on my Pathfinder that was stick. I don't leave my car in gear unless I'm in Frisco or I know that it's on an incline. It's just a habit that I have.

Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I leavemy miata in neutral as well. When i did the fm clutch i put on a clip to allow me to start car without using the clutch. So i try to make sure car is in neutral when i get out of it.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    Help! Anyone have the rear engine seal removal tool, that I could borrow ASAP. I am trying to get a friend's Mazdspeed back on the road, and hate installing that damn seal.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718 LastLast