Thread: Type 2 Torsen Diff

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Meow's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given

Type 2 Torsen Diff

Been looking at this post on craigslist for a while (been for sale since Nov), and i've been wanting to do the 1.8 swap in my 1990 for awhile, and i know what all i need for the swap. My question is does this price sound right or is it reasonable? I know this Diff is used in the 1996+ miatas and is more biased for deceleration.

Craigslist link:
    http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2785946916.html

I'm not knowledgable on prices for diffs, although i know brand new they run pretty high.

Thanks for any info guys

edit: I haven't got pictures from the email yet, im just trying to see the price range for one in the said condition

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    I say it's a VERY good price. Do you have anyone that can check it's condition for ya?
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! adamvanxxx's Avatar
    Drives
    Beat NA
    Thanks Given
    It is a fair price, do you already have a 1.8 car?

If not you will need axles too.

Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I say it's a VERY good price. Do you have anyone that can check it's condition for ya?
    My Buddy is a really good mechanic and knows a lot more about diffs than myself

Quote Originally Posted by adamvanxxx View Post
    It is a fair price, do you already have a 1.8 car?

If not you will need axles too.
    Nope i was planning on doing the swap, but i know i got a long list of things i need to switch out for it to work.

Thanks for the quick replies guys

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Torsens do not "wear" per say. They either function or are broken/exploded.

I'd pick it up if you can confirm it is a Torsen. Replace your trans output seal, axel seals, and get new axel nuts. Also if he doesn't provide the hardware you will need 1.8 driveshaft bolts, washers, and nuts. Yes, they are quite specific and likely not something you can find at a hardware store.

Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    good info. Thanks i'll keep that in mind, and will if (the hardware isn't provided) order some direct from mazda.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 3MiataFamily's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Does that price include anything besides the actual diff?..like the housing?...you will need that...along with axles and driveshaft from a 1.8 car...and the driveshaft bolts...those you can probably get from one of the recyclers for pretty cheap. Ordering nuts and bolts from Mazda is an expensive proposition.
    President Nutmeg Miata Club/94 C pkg/163k/VMaxx/RB header/exhaust/NEW PAINT!/RB sways/OZ Racing Starlights/Boss Frog Twin

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by stormin'norman View Post
    Torsens do not "wear" per say. They either function or are broken/exploded.

I'd pick it up if you can confirm it is a Torsen. Replace your trans output seal, axel seals, and get new axel nuts. Also if he doesn't provide the hardware you will need 1.8 driveshaft bolts, washers, and nuts. Yes, they are quite specific and likely not something you can find at a hardware store.
    I know that, but if it has been sitting exposed to the elements, or blown apart...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! cjsafski's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I got a whole rear end with torsen for 350 back when they cost 700 or so on the forums. Just need to know a little trick. Go on carpart.com and search for a miata open diff. Find one at a nearby yard and call and get the vin of the car it came of off. Then call mazda with the vin and ask if it had a torsen. If they say it does go and pick it up. Check before you buy that you can see through where the half shafts connect. If its an open you will se something blocking it. This works because the torsen fails the test for rotating the rear wheels of a car with it in the air.
    1996 Montego Blue: Homebrew M62 Supercharger, MS2, rx7 460's, Tein Flex 9/6, 15x8 6ULs
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....upercharged-NA
    1993 Volvo 940: b230ft with 16v, MS2, 57 Trim T3/T4, Yoshifab Intake Manifold, Ebay Intercooler , 3" Exhaust, Cut Springs

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsafski View Post
    I got a whole rear end with torsen for 350 back when they cost 700 or so on the forums. Just need to know a little trick. Go on carpart.com and search for a miata open diff. Find one at a nearby yard and call and get the vin of the car it came of off. Then call mazda with the vin and ask if it had a torsen. If they say it does go and pick it up. Check before you buy that you can see through where the half shafts connect. If its an open you will se something blocking it. This works because the torsen fails the test for rotating the rear wheels of a car with it in the air.
    Car-Parts.com is such a GODsend!

Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    I had my buddy check out the lsd this weekend, and well it wasn't a torsen. it was an OBX lsd. so the search still continues.

Car-Parts.com is awesome, but NC has little to offer when it comes to salvage yards especially for miata parts

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    I had my buddy check out the lsd this weekend, and well it wasn't a torsen. it was an OBX lsd. so the search still continues.

Car-Parts.com is awesome, but NC has little to offer when it comes to salvage yards especially for miata parts
    Just for kicks.. you should check out the obx helical lsd thread on Miataturbo.

Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    yeah I saw that surprisingly on youtube in about a 7 1/2 minute video and the guy seemed to love it. But i can pick up a a brand new OBX for less than $550 so if i chose that option it we be new at least.