Thread: My story from a base model 97 to a 94 RS-Ltd (pic heavy)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given

My story from a base model 97 to a 94 RS-Ltd (pic heavy)

SKIP TO THE 2ND POST FOR MY CURRENT CAR.

I guess the best place to start is at the beginning. I think it was early 2011 and I was looking for a new car after I had killed my 93 Suzuki Vitara (Geo Tracker to those in the US). I had blown the engine while going up a hill while on the highway engine shrapnel, oil and steam all over my windshield so I pulled over and called a tow truck and got my stuff out the trunk. On many levels I was glad it died, it leaked, it overheated all the time and every year it needed welding to pass inspection.

So I had saved some money and started looking at what I could afford. I originally was looking at the S14's and Z32's but their running costs were too high and what cars were in my range were in poor condition so just by chance I started looking at MX5's. I saw this NA8C online and not far from my home so I took a trip over and talked to the owner. The past owner had lost his job and needed the money more then the car so I felt sorry for the guy and made an offer and took her home.

She was a base model UK spec 1.8. No PS, no AC, open diff but it was in good working order.... well apart from the rust

flash forward 2 weeks and this happened. I could see it drooping in the staff car park and thought I could live with it for a few weeks but on the way back home from work it fell off.

So while I was annoyed about needing parts so soon after getting the car I was also happy to get going on the mods. I gleefully ordered a Racing Beat Power Pulse muffler and race connecting pipe

All was going well until I tried to have it fitted, I didn't know about the 475mm cat. For those who don't know for the last year of production UK/EU NA's had a longer cat meaning not only would the RB pats not fit but if I did want to swap over cats with an older car I'd also need to do something about the down pipe.

So I went on to buy a new 440mm cat and a MX5Parts 421 manifold. The o2 sensor was quite near the end so the wires had to be extended and the EGR valve had to be bent to fit it... long story short I don't recommenced it.

Overtime I got a GV lip and a KG works wing and fitted a set of Meister R coilovers and not seen in this pic a hard top. I even had a set of Trap flares from Rev9 sitting in my room waiting to be used.

Then this happened. The police told me at 2am their was a call from the old coupe next door about a dumped car, well turns out it was mine. Someone had smashed the window and tried to get it started then apparently gave up and started the fire.

that white stuff was a hardtop

a close up of the engine bay. The hood was not removed its actually melted over the engine.

Well after this and dealing with the insurance company I was ready to give up. But I had a supportive SO and friends telling me not to give up and I went on the hunt for my next roadster wiser from my experiences with my first car hopefully making something better at the end of the day.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 09-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.