Thread: Daily Build Rav4: Mokocchi "Am I Popular Yet?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Supporting Member artcentermiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver Fastback NB / Blue NA
    Thanks Given

Daily Build Rav4: Mokocchi "Am I Popular Yet?"

Welcome to Something a Little Different!

As Ive dug deeper into the modification of my Miata- I found myself needing a platform that can provide me some versatility with everyday activities: Mainly- grocery grabbing, school supply hauling, transport for bikes and parts.

So in an effort to find a vehicle that suited my needs, i started a search! I know i wanted something compact- I am already using my one provided space to hide the Miata away, So i needed something i could sneak into the extra nooks around my complex (But i couldn't give up any versatility).

Of course, Ive always had an eye for unique and underdog vehicles- Which led me to sniff out the outcast of the American automotive culture, the Micro-SUV

The History

There has been soft spot in my heart for early generation, small, and economical sports vehicles since i was young. This all started when i first was introduced to the Isuzu Vehi-Cross, a smart and highly capable SUV with polarizing styling. I could honestly say it was one of the Influences that led me to Transportation Design. While it wasn't well received, I feel it was a brave attempt to push boundaries while offering a functional drive-train and chassis.

The likes of other small 2 door SUVs have since been an interest to me- A few examples being the Geo Tracker, Suzuki Samurai, Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota FJ, and some American offerings such the Explorer Sport-Trac / Blazer ZR2 / Wranglers.

There is just something purely "cute" about the scrunched proportions, short wheelbases, and tall height!

One Canidate

Lets not forget a prime contender- Frankly, one of my favorite Micro-SUV selections: the Toyota Rav4

While the 4-door selection is a prime example of a standard and vastly popular economic vehicle choice- The 2-door configuration is just stunningly cool!

The early generation Rav4 in my opinion carries its styling quite well over its age- Large curvacious lines, two-toned graphical indications, short approach / departure angles primed for terrain tackling.

While it was marketed in the US as a capable family tote- In truth a durable chassis and a grippy AWD system made it great for hitting the dirt!

One Just for Me!

I actually set off my search a long time ago for a 2-door Rav4- Just browsing as if i wanted to purchase one, But not until recent events did i take the hunt seriously.

I learned that they have become incredibly hard to find in the US- Looking through enthusiast forums and country wide ads led me on wild goose chases that yielded minimal results.

And then one night when i had been lackadaisically searching local ads- This little red box appeared!

An unburdened by abuse- 1997 Toyota Rav4 2-Door Tin Top

I was in luck to nab one of the more rare "Base Non-Power" configurations- The most basic of basic models. No assists, No electronic interior features, 5-speed manual transmission.

These have become a commodity simply because most of these configurations were shipped to the Asian continents as a bare bones, cheapened, "nothing to go wrong"- get around vehicles; A few made there way to the US, but not many.

The only bummer being that i was not able to find the AWD drive-line configuration... A very rare sight state-side, there are very few to be had as they were mainly configured in an Automatic transmission special edition model-

So i will make way with this more than adequate FWD model with 68,000 miles and immaculate appearance.

Mokocchi?

I chose to name this little red box Mokocchi in an effort to channel one of my favorite anime characters: Tomoko Kuroki

She is a small and awkwardly hap-hazard example of a high-school student that despite her misguided efforts to be popular, only brings herself embarrassment

I think this somehow works out for the quite unpopular and horrible sales reflection the 2-door Rav4 presented during the late 90's- It tried so hard to popularize a market that just didnt have a spark.

Continued
    Last edited by artcentermiata; 12-24-2013 at 02:26 AM.