Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 20bppmx5's Avatar
    Drives
    20b Miata
    Thanks Given

20B PP MX-5 Track Car (WTAC Open Class Specification) 20b Miata

Hi guys,

Firstly this build project started way back in 2006 and due to various reasons (seven years on) it's still not finished.

However, a few months ago I made a decision to change the engine spec which in turn has provided a clearer path to the finish line so to speak. Essentially the car was being built as nothing more than a toy to go and do some sprints with. But of course as the years go by things change, experience is gained and the project is viewed in a whole new light.

A build thread exists on the MX5 Cartalk forum (http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=30796) so you can see the path that the project taken up until May this year when I changed the engine specification (http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopi...0796&start=480). I'll start the build thread from that point.

Cheers,
    Danny

Anyhow, the Renesis NC Track Car build project has effectively stalled.....so much so that I need to drop a PM to a forum moderator to change the title.

I can't spare the time that is required to develop the supercharger kit to a level that would make it a robust/reliable engine package. It's pretty obvious that after three years of nothing in the engine R&D area that another year isn't going to yield much!

The "third party" supercharger kit was/is lacking in too many areas and the market/demand has contracted for such a product (and the RX-8 ceased production 12 months ago)....ie. Low chance of recovering on investing in completing the R&D of the Renesis supercharger kit.

So that door has closed...however another has opened! Stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by orx626
    Quote Originally Posted by rxmx
    Seeing your involved with rota's 20b??
    Bingo! A peripherally ported 20B to be exact!

Cheers,
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by orx626
    Quote Originally Posted by rxmx
    Will you be at time attack again this year?
    Yes I'll definitely be there in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit
    350 to 400whp sounds good.

you gonna have a centre bearing on the shaft?
    Hi James, with recent developments in this area it could possibly go well over the 400rwhp mark. A few weeks ago similar spec 20B PP made 520fwhp on 888 Racing's engine dyno! Time will tell what's achievable with my engine package.

I'm using a 20B block as opposed to an aftermarket 13B based triple rotor (short crank). I don't require an eccentric shaft bearing support between the second and third rotors...also you would require a custom eccentric shaft for this. As it will be naturally aspirated not too much engine strengthening is necessary...which is good in keeping the costs down!

Here's a Youtube video of a mate's 20B PP he built back in 2007 for his RX-2 sedan! Gotta love the free revving nature!

Cheers,
    Danny
    Last edited by 20bppmx5; 06-30-2014 at 07:23 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 20bppmx5 For This Useful Post:

AutOtaku (09-15-2014),BlitzWing (09-29-2014),Demon I Am (07-02-2014),etikoner (07-01-2014),JamieH (06-30-2014),Jimmy Vee (07-01-2014),johnfett (07-01-2014),Phatmiata (06-30-2014),ueru (06-30-2014)