Thread: M2-1002 Cluster Fiddle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    To clarify, I owned for a while #86 M2-1002, and now this car is part of the Mancini collection.

These clocks, when fitted, are really like stepping back 40 years, in more ways than one. The lighting is spectacularly poor, so I would encourage you, with it all in pieces, to upgrade the bulbs, and to pay careful consideration to the clock face material used.

The question was raised as to why the clocks were converted; they came from the UK. MPH is not required for the MOT but it is for Construction and Use. This conversion is typical of what an importer did back in 1999-2000. Mazda were charging £400+ for just a replacement speedo (including a £300 core charge). So the importer had to do what he did. These clocks would not have come out of a M2-1002; most likely, part of the stock of parts released in 1993-1994 by Mazda after the M2-1002 failed. Some trim parts were used by a Tokyo Eunos dealer, in the Tokyo Limited, but there were more than 200 sets (including spares) left over from the 1002 program. These were sold through the M2 shop. I personally didn't like the font used, and if I was in the same position, I would convert to the 1001-style font. Don't forget there is a speed limiter in these clocks, and its a different setup from the stock clocks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

Bruce (05-16-2015),Malibu Q (05-01-2015)