Thread: DIY: Make your own shift gaiter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given

DIY: Make your own shift gaiter

so, I've been making gaiters for some time now and thought I could do a DIY.

You'll need:
    - a piece of vinyl, leather, cloth... whatever suits your needs
    - scissors
    - sharpie/pencil/pen
    - piece of cardboard/paper
    - somebody capable of using sewing machine
    - about 60-90 minutes

First, take your old gaiter apart. Notice there are four pieces, two different (front/rear) and two identical (sides)

Trace them on the paper, no it won't fit on one A4. It's good to use thicker paper or thin cardboard.

I had them laminated since I make them quite often and it helps the paper to hold the shape

Now trace the templates on the material you're gonna use to make the gaiter of

Cut it out and have it inspected by the nearest quality inspector (the always curious cat)

Find someone who can sew it for you if you can't do it yourself. They'll probably know, how to do it. You'll get this (sorry, I had the black one ready)

Turn it inside out and trace the mounting holes from the old gaiter (you can also do this directly on the center console, to ensure best fit)

You can either reuse the plastic ring you'll find on the old gaiter or just use a ziptie. Those "straps" will get wraped around and glued to it

and that's it!
    I've done them from leather, vinyl and cloth in the past two years and had no problem yet with any of those materials
    you can kinda see it in those pictures... first one's cloth, second one's vinyl

2. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (09-02-2013)