Thread: Rollbar Debate: BBFW NB SD, ZerekFab SD, Hard Dog M2...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given

Rollbar Debate: BBFW NB SD, ZerekFab SD, Hard Dog M2...

Back when I put a roll bar in my 1991 BRG, Blackbird Fabworx pricing was different. Combine that with the fact that the plastic rear window was in great shape and I could use a NA type bar without the big full-width harness bar, and it was a logical choice for me.

DSCN2222.jpg

I'm now back in the market for a bar for my 1991 B package car, and having a more difficult time. See, my new car is going to have a glass window top, and there are two things about BBFW's NB bars that bother me... 1.) Price: almost $1400 delivered. 2.) The full-wrap harness bar that goes behind the seats.

What I'm looking for:
    • Hardtop & glass window compatible.
    • Stock HT latch compatible.
    • Corner-to-corner single diagonal for weight, aesthetic, and visibility.
    • 1.75" tubing (Mainly for aesthetic, partly for safety).
    • Smooth, safe, seat belt retractors (if possible).

I've reached out to Tom at Bethania Garage (Hard Dog Fabrication) and he has explained why their diagonals are at the angles they are... for safety. He also stated that a bar without diagonals would be an option for increased visibility... which is kind of conflicting. Trouble is, I really LIKE the single diagonal when it goes from corner to corner, like I had previously. But the M2HCHT is kind of the standard bar, and pricing is reasonable.

NB2_3.jpg

Zerek Fabrication offers a single diagonal in 1.75" tubing, and claims the lightest bar on the market (not sure that's a good thing) with no mention of wall-thickness. Their seat belt mechanisms make me squeamish (aluminum with a slot, seems not-so-safe in more than one way). But the design of the bar appeals to me, and they also offer a really neat clear-coated raw option. Picture this minus the second diagonal and gussets.

ZerekFab XTreme.jpg

Anyone running a Zerek bar? I haven't reached out about shipping cost yet, but coming from CA, I assume it would split the difference in total cost between the HD M2 and the BBFW SD.

I might also call Tom at Bethania back and ask that they go ahead and do a single diagonal, pointing to the fact that both of his competitors offer that design... he did say "they would work with me".

Thoughts? Feedback on any of the designs mentioned above?

Thanks,

-Matt

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-29-2018)