Thread: 330Ci ZHP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

330Ci ZHP

Today is cooling system day! Prepping the patient…

Started by mixing the coolant.

50/50 mix, coolant and distilled water. I mark the containers for future reference.

This $4 BBQ tray makes a awesome collection tray for this job.

Disassembly begins…

Removed air intake, airbox, and airflow meter

Took off the drive belts, then the t-stat housing. The waterpump is front and center.

Four bolts to remove the pump’s pulley, four nuts that retain the pump, then used two bolts from the t-stat to push the pump from the engine. Easy as pie.

Old pump is original and in very good condition. This coincides with the maintenance records and the original owner was very good about flushing the system at regular intervals.

No sludge or corrosion to be found! This is a fantastic sign.

New pump has a metal impeller and fits in easily. I’m approaching the 1/2 way point 90 minutes in, time to take a break.

I mis-read the weather forecast. It’s a lot warmer than I anticipated.

I removed the radiator and mounting plate with the overflow bottle attached (left).

Radiator was definitely reaching the end of its service life.

New radiator waiting on the table.

Hung the the new radiator, slotted in the mounting plate, attach the overflow bottle, bolt in the new t-stat housing assembly. Snap and lock in the lower hoses, install the lower air diverter. Heading into the final stretch.

Back up top, install the new aluminum water pump pulley. I painted it black to prevent galvanic corrosion, nice 10mm bolts came with it. Swap out the idler and tensioner pulleys. They were definitely original, getting loud. Also reinstall new e-torx fillister bolt on the tensioner for insurance. Laced up the serpentine belt, then the AC belt.

Button up the radiator on top, slide in the cooling fan assembly, plug in the relays and sensors.

Chucked in the air box and AFM, pour in the coolant, bleed as I clean up the tools and ready the old coolant for recycling.

4 hours, including two breaks to cool off. Time to hit the showers!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-26-2021),MiataQuest (07-28-2021)