Thread: theothersawyer + My Miata, My Story

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts

theothersawyer + My Miata, My Story

It all started when my sister bought her first car. It was a 2003 Miata. ( Can't find a picture at the moment ) She loved it and always talked about how fun it was, so I of course had to take a ride in it. It was a lot of fun. So when I turned 16 she would take me out to an unfinished neighborhood and she would teach me how to drive a stick shift. I only got to practice on that car a few times before she sold it! Why did she sell it you might ask? To get something even better! She got this:

It is just an absolutely stunning color and an amazing car!

I now knew I had to drive this one, because it was even cooler than her base model 2003 and this one had a turbo! She continued to teach me how to drive a stick shift on this car, but we would only go out occasionally since our schedules conflicted. Her boyfriend (now fiance) bought a white 1992 Miata and he also taught me how to drive a stick shift on that car.

I just knew that I had to get one of these cars of my own, so I quit playing baseball after 15 years and got a job! I worked as often as I could to save up for a Miata! After about a year I saved up enough money and found a car I really liked in Florida! So I guess it was time for a little road trip!
    I found this 1994 Classic Red Miata in Clearwater, FL and I just had to have it!

Getting a Miata in high school may not have been the smartest decision if I wanted to be popular or not be made fun of, because of the Miata's stereotype as a girls car, but I did not care! I would offer to give anyone a called my car a girls car a ride in it...each and everyone of them changed their minds after riding in it and I have convinced a few people into getting Miatas just from taking them for a drive.

Since my sister had been apart of many Miata communities online I decided to join them and see what she had been talking about all the time. After meeting some of the people on the forums and the enthusiasts that this car had, I completely understood why she always talked about these communities. Miata drivers are some of the nicest people. I have made some of my closest friends through Miatas. One of my best friends (RotornutFD3S) I met through Miatas and he has taught me most of what I know about them and I now know so much more about cars because of him and working on the Miata together.

Miatas have definitely been a major part of my life and they have made me who I am today. I never understand how a car could have character until I bought my Miata, there is just something about driving it that is hard to explain. If I am having a bad day, I go for a drive. Radio off, top down, and no destination. There is just nothing better than cruising around listening to the motor and throwing the car through a turn. It just handles so well and puts a smile on your face.

I don't plan on ever selling the Miata, because it is a part of me now. I plan on giving this car to my future kid. Whenever I tell people that I want give my future kids my Miata they always ask, "Will it last?" Of course it will last! It is a Miata! They are insanely reliable, and super simple to work on!

Jinba Ittai, the term was used in the development of the Mazda MX-5 Miata to describe a driver's connection with the car.

Taken from the Mazda website:

Jinba ittai. A Japanese phrase that means horse and rider becoming one.

And it's the essence of Mazda MX-5. You'll feel it the moment you take the wheel: you and the car become a single unit joined in the joy of the road. The car responds to your every wish - almost before you think of it - and suddenly driving becomes fun again. From everyday trips around town to long distance open-top touring, Mazda MX-5 makes the journey an experience to savour. It's Zoom-Zoom driving in an exhilarating new form that promises you lots of fun.

A promise Mazda MX-5 always keeps to the full.
    I can assure you that this horse and rider have become one.

Now after writing all of this all I want to do is go out for a drive...I'll be back! Zoom-Zoom!

Here is a recent picture of how the car sits now...much different from how I started, but that is what makes these cars special!

~IMG_0542 by theotherSawyer, on Flickr
    Last edited by theothersawyer; 03-17-2014 at 11:23 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-17-2014),Phatmiata (03-17-2014),tsingson (03-17-2014),WASABI (03-17-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Love it! Great story, and nice to hear about your family's love of the roadster, and your involvement in a strong Miata community.