Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zed's supercharged BRG 97

Idling - Listen to it purr... Zed CZ's Avatar
    Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Next race was two months away and I had time for doing some rests and upgrades..

My old roof had bad zipper so I was aware of the rain and mainly because of that I've bought a new roof out of ebay some time ago but wasn't brave enough for doing the job, until one day.
    Now I know it wasn't job for me, next time I'll rather pay for it than doing it by myself
    But in the end I made it and the roof is working properly..

Don't have much photos of the progress, only this one after drilling rivets from the old one and prepared new one for rivetting.

25-00.jpg

25-00-.jpg

and there it's on

25-0.jpg

25-1.jpg

and two right after washing up

25-2.jpg

25-3.jpg
    charged beauty - Miata simply begs to be driven hard!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zed CZ For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-08-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Very classy looking brg you got there. Let's see some more updates

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Thank you for all the great photos and video Zed. It is very interesting to read about a true Czech Miata enthusiast.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I've had an opportunity for standalone ECU, DIYPNP MS2 with all the stuff like wideband lambda and MAP sensor and I've thought it will be great next step if I want to do anything with the SC setup and learn something new to me.

One friend with MS turbocharged NB gave me his help on one hot saturday and after a lot of soldering and checking what we've forgot it was ready for loading a base map and the first start, everything was working well and running, success, but we've ended up pretty exhausted and late in the evening.
    The tuning part is different story and till now I'm not fully satisfied, it was better with the powercard, but rolling road tune will come soon and I'm looking forward the results..

26-0.jpg

26-1.jpg

26-2.jpg

26-4.jpg

Next were new coilovers, after many referencies I've chosen a set from BC racing, BR-RS series with springs 6/5 kg/mm, they were lovely and compared to TATechnix looked more functional too.

27-0.jpg

fronts together
    27-2front.jpg

rears together
    27-1rear.jpg

When I was there I've changed brake hoses from old rubber ones to new teflon hoses and also changed up brake fluid to ATE Blue racing.

All done
    27-3.jpg

27-5.jpg

27-4.jpg

The ride quality has improved a lot, they are not as hard and bumpy as TA, but the track will say more.
    Last edited by Zed CZ; 04-08-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zed CZ For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-08-2014)

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thank you guys, I appreciate you've read all that, more will come... And sorry for my english, I know it's a bit gritty

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Great story, pictures, and video so far Zed! I love the new tan top and am excited to see what the new suspension will do for you on the track.

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Then there were another two Miatacup trackdays (2nd and 3rd out of 4), both at Vysoke Myto.

At the 2nd Miatacup race I was really struggling with my tune, the car didn't have power, SC was screaming normally, but it was running like a N/A, mostly due to too safe ignition map. I've ended up 4th in my category. In the speech of time I was overall 7seconds quicker than last year, but I could be even quicker..

At the 3rd Miatacup race I did some changes to the tune and it was better, quicker revving up and more power at the peak so I was hoping for better performance. Sadly it has started to rain during the day and the race was wet. I had to change the wheels back from slicks to XXRs on AD08 which were at 30% of life at that time so no chance for a good position. I was 5th in category, but in overall standings I was 2nd after this race for my suprise, many of my "rivals" were worse than me.. First 5 drivers between 7 points before the final race

28-0.jpg

28-1.jpg

28-2.jpg

28-3.jpg

and a wet carefull onboard - 2nd and 3rd lap had the same time, and at the first turn in 3rd lap I missed my throttle when braking and locked rears a little
    Last edited by Zed CZ; 04-08-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thank you WASABI and as for the new coilovers I forgot to mention. It's more predictable, better weight transfer, but not as hard as TA even on the strongest setting, maybe I should get harder springs in the meaning of trackdays, but I'm satisfied with it. On normal roads it's far far better, more comfortable, not so shaky, with better response and I have to say more fun to drive.

In the meantime before final race of Miatacup I've visited one of our big adult circuits at Brno for my first time (you can know this circuit from MOTO GP). It was public driving so quite a lot of cars and drivers who are learning the track or with the car. But I had a great day out there even with 3hours highway drive in the very hot weather with some traffic jams by the way and I nearly missed my place, but all was good by few minutes in the end...except for the suspension which I forgot to stiffen up, but could be worse...

29-0.jpg

29-1.jpg

29-3.jpg

and classicaly an onboard from one stint

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zed CZ For This Useful Post:

atank (04-08-2014),WASABI (04-08-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Your Roadster looks great Zed!!!!!!!!! Nice and Clean...........

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-08-2014),Zed CZ (04-08-2014)

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    And then there was the final race of Miatacup at Pisek, which I like the most of those three tracks, it's just superb (look at the video). As I said there were 5 drivers between 7 points so kind of drama ahead in the meaning of winner takes it all.

I've made my best and... it wasn't enough, by 0,04s I've ended up second and second overall, but I was pretty happy, my first complete season and second overall. Great day again.
    First was a guy with NB with MP62 supercharger running on E85 and about 200rwhp, so not that bad to be that close to him.

30-0.jpg

30-1.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zed CZ For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-08-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    That looks like a beautiful track! Did you make it into 4th gear?

Drives
    '97 BRG
    Thanks Given
    No 4th gear on that track, only 2nd and 3rd, same as the Sosnova and Vysoke Myto, as I said, those tracks are mostly used for karting, motards and some car enthusiasts which can't afford to rent a big circuit

It can look like I was driving only at tracks, but I used her for trips too, just wasn't shooting the photos..
    It's great to have an opportunity to just sit in the car and drive away from work to clear the mind up in the huge space above and relax.

31-1.jpg

31-0.jpg

Finally I made it to the end of season 2013. My goal at start of the season was to drive at all of our circuits and tracks, mainly for personal references and base lap times. One circuit was still missing, it was Most and on one fall day I've reserved few stints at a public driving. Sadly there weren't more of us, mostly I was driving solo, but nevermind, I've been there for the first time, so it was even better to have the track for myself and I was satisfied with it.
    It's quicker circuit than Brno with some tricky turns and I liked it a lot.

There is an onboard from second run:

And in the speech of numbers, season 2013 was about 8k kilometres long (about 5k miles), more oriented for trackdays with 8 visits in total and with lot of things in my mind that has to be done.

More will come soon..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zed CZ For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-09-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given
    you didn't tell me you're starting a build thread here lol

how about some update from last week, huh?
    Last edited by George; 04-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12