Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bummer's Canyon Carver

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Bummer's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 Red, VVT, Haltech, Xida 6ULx9
    Thanks Given
    After buying a few upgrades for the Xidas, and acquiring some other parts, we did a bit of parts swapping over the last two saturdays.

Last Saturday, we pulled the trans to install the new ACT six-pad sprung clutch and HD pressure plate. Took the lightened steel flywheel to a nearby machine shop for resurfacing, and the managed to cut it at an angle, destroying it.

With clutch project on hold, we turned our attention to installing the Hard Dog bar. This is necessary, since I also plan to hillclimb the car in the near future.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bummer For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-13-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    So, we purchased a new Fidanza 8 lb. flywheel. The machine shop has offered to pick up the tab, which will be nice. So, the car was back on the lift this Saturday. Installed the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Then we installed the Xidas and Racing Beat bar with 949 end links. Since the Xidas were used, I ordered new needle bearings and the upper spring locators. The original needle bearings were absolute junk, probably from the salt on TN roads. If your Xidas are more than a season old, I suggest you check these (if you care). All the parts went on the car quickly and easily. We had the trans back in the car, suspension swapped out, and the car corner-weighted in about five hours.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ciotti's Avatar
    Drives
    99' STR build
    Thanks Given
    Looks awesome Brad, absolutely awesome, I'm jealous as SHIT!
    @CiottiMonkey on the Instagram
    www.Facebook.com/CiottiIndustries
    1999 STR Miata: Tein Flex Racing Beat header, exhaust, 1.125" sway bar, and braces Carbing STB KAAZ diff 949 15x9's 225 Rivals

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice work. Love seeing the progress.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    A quick update: We decided to try a little autocross, and did some work in that direction. Had the car on the dyno trying to get the VVT dial in, and pulling/rolling the fender right up until midnight the night before the autocross. We have some things to learn, but the driver was more of an issue than the car. Been doing some drivabilty work the last couple days, an the car is fun and fast on the local backroads.

Attached Images Attached Images

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 434 Posts
    What diff are you running? Your car made weird sounds in hard right turns as though it was a clutch type LSD? Also, could you please elaborate on your difficulty in finding the correct Boomslang for the MS3? I'm putting a 99 motor in a 91 chassis and am hoping someone else will make it pnp for me but I also thought it was pretty easy to make your own if needed.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    What diff are you running? Your car made weird sounds in hard right turns as though it was a clutch type LSD? Also, could you please elaborate on your difficulty in finding the correct Boomslang for the MS3? I'm putting a 99 motor in a 91 chassis and am hoping someone else will make it pnp for me but I also thought it was pretty easy to make your own if needed.
    Running a type 1 Torsen diff. We found out after the event we still had some tire rub against whatever those bolts are on the rear inner fenderwell on one side. Good chance that was the noise. Need to add some 5mm spacers.

We ended up running a Haltech ECU, and selling the MS. The only difficulty we had with the harness that I can recall was a lack of a schematic. We got that sorted out. The Hatech is much more difficult to program, and there are far fewer Miata users. If I was to do it again, I think I'd order the AEM from TrackSpeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12