Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What have you hit while driving your Miata?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    every f**king speed bump in my town. I don't know why it is this way. My car is not super low but the local government insist on putting them all over the place and then don't maintain them so when the tarmac on each side breaks down they slowly get about 2cm taller over the winter and the gov are just too cheap to fix it until the following summer. I have no clue how the local dubbers deal with it.. I guess a lot of spare sumps in the VW scene

I did hit what I think was a plank of wood on the highway. I'm guessing it fell off the back of a truck heading for the dump. scare the crap out of me.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 06-20-2014 at 02:34 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlitzWing For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-17-2014),WASABI (06-18-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    ~NOT MY ACCIDENT~

A guy I know was speeding through a neighborhood during a thunderstorm one night. He tried taking a corner way too fast and under steered right into a rain gutter. He luckily only bend his control arm, and screwed up a his wheels really bad.

Idling - Listen to it purr... rebeljohn's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 Grand Touring, 6speed, zeal red
    Thanks Given
    I've been in my Miata for a month now, and I think I've hit every bug in the state of NC. I work 3rd shift, so I travel mostly in the late evening. Hoping the deer hate red vehicles...........

Idling - Listen to it purr... Ezalis's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Black & Tan
    Thanks Given
    Other way around. 16 year old girl does some texting and driving and plows into me at 50+ while I'm stopped waiting to turn left into my driveway. Still having to deal with Allstate to get the proper value of my car.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WASABI; 06-19-2014 at 11:40 AM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! KAL's Avatar
    Thanks Given

One of those exact sticks. Luckily, I ended back on the road after that. Small chip in the front.
    '9 3 B R G

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Big Red's Avatar
    Drives
    DeLorean
    The Land Downunder. Errr the Upsidedown Place.
    Thanks Given
    Hit a Kangaroo @ 60mph

I had no way of avoiding the kangaroo :/ so I decided to make a split second decision.
    1.- If I went left I would have put myself in the marbles on the left shoulder & most likely putting myself off into the trees.

2.- Hit him straight on & have the chance of the kangaroo hitting the front of the car taking out my cooling system & the off chance of going straight through the middle of the windshield & who knows what else could happen?

3.- Maneuver to the right lane (oncoming) & try to beat him or minimize the damage to the front of the car. (Being 6am & being early there was no traffic around.)

It all happened pretty quickly. The kangaroo was moving at full flight out of the bushes from my left.... No time to brake basically & would have locked the front wheels most likely anyways.... So I took option 3. I wasn't lucky enough to get around the front of the roo. this experience of me seeing the kangaroo's head bounce off the windscreen was a very sobering moment. The noise of the impact & the dust and small pieces of glass floating around the cabin in nearly like a slow motion state. after the roo hit the screen & "a" pillar it took out my mirror clawed my side window & rippled my passenger door. Also left some fur jammed in my door handle & mirror stalk. And buffed some paint off the damage guard. :/

So the Damage :'(

-Bonnet
    -Left front guard
    -Front window
    -Passenger door + Glass
    -Passenger door mirror

About a 3 days after the impact I my wonderful girlfriend tracked down a decent panel shop to do the work. The owner came over on that Saturday to my house to asses the damage & quote the job. I'm usually a DIY guy & that's the whole spirit of things here I took the option of the panel beaters because they could produce a far better finish than what I could ever dream of.

~Gareth~
    -ROADSTERZOKU-

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Red For This Useful Post:

atank (06-25-2014),WASABI (06-20-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    ^^Gareth you win so far!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

atank (06-25-2014),The Driver (06-20-2014),tsingson (06-20-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone ScratchNSniff's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata, Pilot, Civics...
    Thanks Given
    This was back 5 or so years ago driving up in the mountains...the relay for the fog lights decided to fall out of the dash where it had been for close to a year if not longer...got stuck perfectly behind the brake pedal coming downhill into a turn...bounced into one guardrail with no brakes and then right back into another before I got it out...needless to say I didn't have that relay in there after that...destroyed the front end and 3 of the 4 wheels/tires...

Right before the crash...

Right after once home and pulled my rack to paint...

And day I picked it from being fixed and my Honda Express...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchNSniff For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-21-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    There's a thread somewhere where I hit on a girl on the freeway and got her number in the Miata and intimacies took place at the local coffee bean and tea leaf.

That has to count.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DK Wolf For This Useful Post:

atank (06-25-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Hit a Kangaroo @ 60mph

I had no way of avoiding the kangaroo :/ so I decided to make a split second decision.
    1.- If I went left I would have put myself in the marbles on the left shoulder & most likely putting myself off into the trees.

2.- Hit him straight on & have the chance of the kangaroo hitting the front of the car taking out my cooling system & the off chance of going straight through the middle of the windshield & who knows what else could happen?

3.- Maneuver to the right lane (oncoming) & try to beat him or minimize the damage to the front of the car. (Being 6am & being early there was no traffic around.)

It all happened pretty quickly. The kangaroo was moving at full flight out of the bushes from my left.... No time to brake basically & would have locked the front wheels most likely anyways.... So I took option 3. I wasn't lucky enough to get around the front of the roo. this experience of me seeing the kangaroo's head bounce off the windscreen was a very sobering moment. The noise of the impact & the dust and small pieces of glass floating around the cabin in nearly like a slow motion state. after the roo hit the screen & "a" pillar it took out my mirror clawed my side window & rippled my passenger door. Also left some fur jammed in my door handle & mirror stalk. And buffed some paint off the damage guard. :/

So the Damage :'(

-Bonnet
    -Left front guard
    -Front window
    -Passenger door + Glass
    -Passenger door mirror

About a 3 days after the impact I my wonderful girlfriend tracked down a decent panel shop to do the work. The owner came over on that Saturday to my house to asses the damage & quote the job. I'm usually a DIY guy & that's the whole spirit of things here I took the option of the panel beaters because they could produce a far better finish than what I could ever dream of.

Geez, Crocodile Dundee had to show up, and take the wreath! :jelly:
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wolf View Post
    There's a thread somewhere where I hit on a girl on the freeway and got her number in the Miata and intimacies took place at the local coffee bean and tea leaf.

That has to count.
    No, not really... Unless she somehow cracked your windshield, then all bets are off...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-22-2014),WASABI (06-21-2014)

Drives
    DeLorean
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    ^^Gareth you win so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Geez, Crocodile Dundee had to show up, and take the wreath! :jelly:
    Not something I really want to be winning at ;)

been a bit bummed lately.... been 5 months since the accident & I still have not got the car back on the road. Its still sitting in the panel shop awaiting paint.
    bare metal respray because I was over the 50 shades of red & the clear coat was peeling in various places on the car... So its getting a new coat of red

SO KEEN TO GET HER BACK!!!!!!

~Gareth~
    -ROADSTERZOKU-

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    ^ Been that red (among other colors) did not have clear coats, I'd say your Miata had been previously painted, and good thing you are doing it right!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I was driving Sharka to the track one morning for an autocross. It was cool and lovely. I had the top off and race tires on. Zooming along about 80 on the backroad to the dump, jail, and track (yes, really). Not a care in the world.

I notice a flock of birds in the sky they kinda fly low and past the windshield by maybe 50 feet.

They swoop around and past again.

Then one bird decides to land on the ground. Literally not 1 second before my driver's front was going to occupy that space. I felt a very small thump.

I still feel sorry for that bird.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Alright, I guess I'll share my actual stories.

Driving through Carbon Canyon in SoCal (seriously.. that NFS game? Carbon Canyon? rumored to have been designed around that specific canyon). I'm with a girl I was seeing at the time, blasting away going balls out at what seems like the top speed of a 1.6 at 70mph.. and a freaking dumb ass bird just flies straight at the window aiming at Diana.. she's screaming, I'm laughing yelling out "HAHA IT'S ALL SMASHED AND STUFF" and it left multicolored liquids on my windshield... I think it dedicated itself upon impact.

And this story was getting actually hit.

Rear ended driving out to VA from CA in NC. I was 2hrs from my destination, it's like 6am and an SUV just plows right into my rear, sending me off the side of the road into the guardrail, they never stopped and kept going. My rear suffered significant damage, was deemed a total loss... I rebuilt it myself. Check my build-thread to see.

Then I've hit a fair amount of monkeys in Algeria in my R4. You can't stop or slow down because they will throw feces at you or climb onboard and try to crack the windows open to get that sweet smelling food.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    DeLorean
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    ^ Been that red (among other colors) did not have clear coats, I'd say your Miata had been previously painted, and good thing you are doing it right!
    There was a bit of damage around the front indicator holes around the rad support & a little bit of damage on the rear bar.... I'm assuming its damage from the previous owners (my car was not in the greatest condition & looked very unloved when I got her.)

So yes I'm trying to do the job right rather than doing a band-aid coverup.
    ~Gareth~
    -ROADSTERZOKU-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast