Thread: Getting an NA - foamectomy question

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given

Getting an NA - foamectomy question

Hello all - It looks like I'm going to get a 1991 red base model this weekend. I've been wanting a first gen miata for a long time, and it's finally become convenient.

I'm 6'4", 208lbs with a 35" inseam, so I'm already gearing up for the tall guy mods I know I'll need to do. I plan to go to a 320mm steering wheel (possibly quick-remove) for greater comfort in entry/exit. I'll probably do the throttle pedal shortening mod and remove the dead pedal for greater leg room.

When it comes to the foamectomy, has anybody here just replaced the seat foam rather than just carve it down? Leave the side bolsters, take the center foam completely down and put in some high-density or memory foam?

I'm not going to track this car, but it is going to be a daily driver and I will put a roll bar on it.

Thanks!

Dan
    Using Tapatalk

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RoadsterTech's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    The problem with just replacing foam is that there is a wire frame in the foam that provides the attachment points for the seat cover.
    You could replace it but you will need to work around the attachment points or design new ones. I used a hot wire to slice off the bottom shovel section and then added a little very soft foam on top of the seat to fill in the seat cover. This works very nice and provides an nice soft seating surface for long drives. It puts me about 1/2" lower in the car.
    You may know me as RAB or BCT or Rick depends on where you look.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoadsterTech For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-22-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have a buddy who is at least your height, maybe taller. He had virtually no foam in the bottom of his stock seat.

You could do something similar, but as mentioned above, look at how the cover attaches to the foam first. Itis possible to rig up something with zip ties and some stiff pieces of wire, like bits of coat hanger (just throwing it out there, I'm a little tired). A gel pad replacement may give the minimal thickness you need and enough cushion to alleviate fatigue, but you may need to drive around on it as a test before making permanent modifications.

Honestly, the "best" way I know to gain headroom in an NA is with an aftermarket seat, the horizontal mount rails removed, and an aftermarket seat slider bolted/welded to a replacement reinforcement plate directly to the floor. A good place to see this visually is at the Blackbird Faxworx site. Moti does a great job showing how he does this for customers' cars. Something like this:

or this:

You waited this long to finally get one, it's worth the expense to make it fit the way that works best for you.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 06-21-2014 at 07:59 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-22-2014),tsingson (06-22-2014)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadsterTech View Post
    The problem with just replacing foam is that there is a wire frame in the foam that provides the attachment points for the seat cover.
    You could replace it but you will need to work around the attachment points or design new ones. I used a hot wire to slice off the bottom shovel section and then added a little very soft foam on top of the seat to fill in the seat cover. This works very nice and provides an nice soft seating surface for long drives. It puts me about 1/2" lower in the car.
    Ah, a wire frame in the foam. I should have anticipated that. It'll complicate things a little. Good info, thanks.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    You waited this long to finally get one, it's worth the expense to make it fit the way that works best for you.
    My feelings exactly. I'd like to keep the stock seat if possible, but mounting directly to the floor is a good idea.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks Given
    Man, the sale fell through. The car had a few more problems than the seller knew about and I didn't want to low ball him and try to fix everything. Too bad. I guess I'm back in the market for an NA miata.
    Using Tapatalk