Thread: New to this forum

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 1991, Black Hardtop
    Thanks Given

New to this forum

Hey everyone,

I'm new here because, well, I have no idea how I never knew this place existed.

I have a Red 91 5 speed that I use more than any TV remote I've ever had. It now has a FM Stage 1 suspension and some chassis stiffening, seat belt tower brace (I get it; not many fans of that mod) that I installed, 15x6.5 Drag DR-23 wheels and 205/50 15 Falken 912s (I kept the daisies for snow tires), NRG Super Low Down shift knob and new black leather shift boot and brake handle cover. Otherwise all stock.

I'm looking for a Momo steering wheel and may put in some Recaro knockoff seats since my driver seat is wearing thin. I did a good amount of maintenance (currently using the Magnecore plug wires which seem to be holding up well) since I got it in February 2012; VC gasket and CAS O-ring, etc. The soft top was apparently never used by the first two owners, and it was dry rotted behind the door windows from just laying in the car I guess.

The plastic rear window was super clear but heavily creased in the center. Still had the scratch guard felt in place. So, I pulled it out with the hope of replacing the top at some point with a nice black canvas. Hence the Hardtop screen name. I do enjoy the extra space in the parcel shelf and with the Spec Miata brackets it's pretty tight. I'm struggling with the roof thumping over bumps so I'll have to look into new plates, the ones that fit under the F-bolts. They're all buggered up.

The radio that one of the previous owners installed ate it so I put in a cheap head unit but that died about 9 months later. For now, it's Pandora and my iPhone with a remote speaker. Good enough. I like simple. And inexpensive. It could also use a fresh respray which is more noticeable since I got my rear end redone (distracted driver/yield sign) and it's all shiny and new.

That said, I do have a laundry list of simple mods I wanna complete within the next couple months. FI is not one of them, sorry. Mostly suspension, even though I don't autoX or track the car.

Even with two previous owners flitting around in it, I got the car with 56,158 miles and the TB/WP/T-stat were changed by the time I picked it up. Actually, it looks like the cooling system, sans hoses, was done. The radiator is still black. I do have the whole kit, including all nine hoses, sitting in my garage just waiting and wondering.

It's my daily and I totally love it; I drive anywhere from 70 to 150 miles per day based on what I gotta do for work. Lots more miles are added when I have free time. I'm at 126, 4XX miles at this point.

I'll get pics as soon as I can but who hasn't seen at least 30 billion red Miatas?

I hope I can contribute in some small way here but the depth of knowledge on this forum is great and mine is not so much, which means I'll prolly just be learning more. That's cool. I do all my own work and have for an obscene number of years and on every car I ever owned.

I'm done.

Inner peace,
    John
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 06-29-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added paragraph breaks to make readable

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hardtop For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-19-2014),WASABI (06-18-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Welcome! I don't know that there is a limit to the number of red Miatas one can look at.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014),Phatmiata (06-18-2014),tsingson (06-19-2014),WASABI (06-18-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Welcome to MazdaRoadster.net!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014)

Drives
    a V8 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Welcome, red is beautiful.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John J For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014),Phatmiata (06-18-2014),tsingson (06-19-2014),WASABI (06-18-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    Welcome to the site! Glad you found us.
    This place is a great resource for soooooo many different things. Read around, get a feel for everything, and enjoy!
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jux For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014),Phatmiata (06-18-2014),tsingson (06-19-2014)

Drives
    1990 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Welcome aboard the MR forum

My 90 blue with 179k

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Winlowe For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014)

Drives
    Red 1991, Black Hardtop
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the welcome!

jux: You're right. I've been poking around for a couple days so I know I can learn a lot here.

riefdaddy/John J: This is my third red car. I got it because it was a good deal. Silver or black were my preferred colors. Now I like it more than I thought I would and it does shine up really well. When I had the rear end damaged fixed recently, the body shop owner talked me out of changing the color with a full respray and told me I'd be happy with the new paint, some touch up in the orginal color and the deep detailing when he was done. The bastid was right and it saved me about $2,500. However, the mirrors are still chalky so they need attention. And I should respray the rockers.

I have matte black wheels with a red lip which I think makes the wheels more visible and the red line matches the body color nearly 100%.

http://www.erzperformance.com/v/vspf...54-100BR-1.jpg

I'm off to do more reading.
    Last edited by WASABI; 06-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I'll take a look at my 40 millionth red Miata. Where's the pic?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Welcome to the site! It doesn't matter what color your Miata is, it's still a Miata, and is a crazy wonderful car. What's amazing is that everyone of them has something unique about it. Sure there are a bunch of red ones... but with different wheels, stripes, ride heights, and countless other modifications, they are all different. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

-Cheers,

Jim

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (06-19-2014)

Drives
    Red 1991, Black Hardtop
    Thanks Given
    Thanks, WASABI. I appreciate the support!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardtop For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-19-2014)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch CitizenSteve's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Welcome. Red miata are my favourite to look at

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CitizenSteve For This Useful Post:

Hardtop (07-01-2014)

Drives
    Red 1991, Black Hardtop
    Thanks Given
    I can see why, CitizenSteve. I've been having trouble getting my pics loaded here from my Photobucket account. I'll figure it out sooner or later!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    ...... I've been having trouble getting my pics loaded here from my Photobucket account. I'll figure it out sooner or later!

Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    Honestly I never use the board-hosted option.

I upload to imgur and do IMG tags to wrap them. Almost *every* single build thread or any other thread with really old photos that DON'T do this have happy little boxes where there should be images.
    This is the biggest problem with all of the miata forums.

Found that wicked writeup for the mod you really want to do. Oh, every image isn't loading because they used photobucket. Great.

Imgur doesn't delete old pictures, and I forsee them living for quite a long time since they just got something like 1bil in funding from reddit.
    ^^^ great info!! linky --->>> http://imgur.com/

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    Welcome....looking forward to the pics!