Howdy all, I'm trying to wire up an alternate horn button since I could not get the aftermarket NRG steering wheel button hooked up (did not drill Momo hub). As I understand it, I need to connect the existing horn wire, after I cut off the orange connector, to my button and then to ground. I'm planning to place the button in the unused switch panel immediately to the left of the wheel, I believe this is where the rear window defroster switch would normally be. I found the chassis ground nearest that spot, which is buried under the dash by the far left edge. I also found an unused, wired connector behind that panel, which presumably is the connection for the defroster.

It looks like reaching that chassis ground is going to be a big fat hassle without completely removing the dash, which I'd rather not do, so I thought maybe I could just identify the ground pins on that unused connector, and wire my new button to that instead. So I took out my multimeter and started to measure voltage drop from each pin to the nearest piece of dash frame with the key turned to On, hoping to find some pins with ~12V drops and others with essentially zero drop, thinking the zero drop pins could be used as ground for my button. Except most of the pins registered 30mV or less (which I interpret as zero), with one showing close to 1V.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to find a ground pin in that connector, or access chassis ground without digging all the way out to the edge of the dash?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John