Thread: Stalling Problem

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ADOBOMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red, 92, Miata
    Thanks Given

Stalling Problem

Today, I finally got to test drive my car after swapping a 00' 1.8 motor. Everything was fine until I almost reached my destination. I noticed my car turned off (electronics were still on). I test drove it again, after a few minutes when I shifted to second, I felt the power lost. I kept pressing the throttle to see if it will help it from stalling. No luck. Any ideas what it may be? My guess would be the Cam Angle Sensor?

*Possibly ground? My ground from the battery doesn't connect to the PPF frame but on a different part of the chassis. I'll post a picture in a bit.

*Ignitor, Spark plugs, Wires, Coil Pack? I wouldn't think this would be the problem, only because the vehicle isn't running rough or misfiring. The fires are new, firing order is correct, plugs are couple days old (I used NGK iridiums), Coil pack is from a 1.6, and I have a new ignitor.

*MAF? I'm reusing my MAF from my other Miata. Possibly Maf is stuck open?

*Throttle cable? maybe this is too loose? I wouldn't think so, since the car throttle responds quickly and the throttle body butterfly/flapper opens and closes properly.

MISC information:
    -Complete 1.6 harness
    -1.6 Crank pulley, water pump pulley, and alternator pulley.
    -1.6 MAF
    -1.6 CAS
    -1.6 TB w/ TPS
    -Complete FM swap kit
    -Stock ECU

I'm trying to get rid of all the gremlins before installing the mspnp with my new turbo set up.

BorgWarner EFR 6758, Built 1.8, mspnpv2

295whp, 271tq @14psi

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Recheck all the wiring connections.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ADOBOMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red, 92, Miata
    Thanks Given
    I just checked my wiring a few minutes ago, everything is plugged in the right places, no burned wires, fuses are in great shape, relays are clean.

I test drove the car and as I made a left turn to a street it happened. I tried giving it some gas, it bogged and died. Interesting..

Here are my grounding points.

Sorry it's dark but it connects from the main ground that attaches to the battery, and goes through the hole where the engine harness originally ran. It bolts up to the frame of the car.

#2 This ran from the main ground harness and grounded to the wall that's behind the passenger seat.

#3 This is the factory ground. From a metal part of the transmission to the frame of the car.

#4 These grounds connects to the steel egr block off plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BorgWarner EFR 6758, Built 1.8, mspnpv2

295whp, 271tq @14psi