Thread: MX-5 Therapy

Idling - Listen to it purr... ozimax's Avatar
    Drives
    1989 Mazda MX-5
    Thanks Given

MX-5 Therapy

Up until a few weeks ago, I needed a new hobby. I've tried golf, and fishing. Nope. I am a photographer of sorts but it's now not really a hobby but rather a chore. Motorcycling is my #1 choice as a hobby but the missus of 31 years doesn't like them, so I have to keep the peace. Exit motorcycles. Enter the Mazda MX-5.

I am a newbie in the Miata/MX5 world. I did a lot of research for 3-4 months and drove some for-sale vehicles, settling on a 1989, well kept, fairly low km red NA. I can't keep driving the thing. We are incredibly blessed to be literally 3 minutes drive from some of Australia's most beautiful country roads. My son and I have set out a nice twisty circuit via Bruxner Park, Bucca Rd, Redbank Rd then home to Coffs Hbr via Coramba Rd. It is a hoot. Waiving at the dairy cows on the deserted roads, wind blowing past my hair...er..um..ears. (Hair is a distant memory).

Here are my initial impressions. The Mazda 1.6 needs to be revved. The harder you work it, the better it feels. The 18" low profiles grip like a rail. The non-powered steering is great. Work the gearbox, touch the brakes, pick a corner apex, hit the throttle and away we go. My son drove the circuit last Saturday and he, Holden man and Mazda skeptic, was very impressed. "Dad, it's just like a go-kart." "Yes son, and keep your mitts off it!"

It's a barrel of fun to drive, and fun is good therapy indeed.

Ozi.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ozimax For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-28-2014),pinoykid1307 (11-24-2014),WASABI (09-01-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Great story, glad you're enjoying it! My suggestion? Get some smaller and lighter wheels, it will be even better.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Thanks for the anectdote. I bet it would feel much better with some lightweight 15" wheels.

No todo que es oro brilla.