Thread: 1992 mx5 heater core leak

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

1992 mx5 heater core leak

Alright I have a 92 mx5 and I just replace the heater core and put the dash back on and everything. Ok ive drive. It for about 3 hours and its leaked some everytime I drive. So I look at the long pipe that has the connector to it and it isnt excatly straight. The pipes are a little misaligned so Im pretty sure that why it has thr leak, its hard to see the misaligned pipes in the picture but I can tell when im looking at it. One more thing when I had the dash out and installed the heater core it kept pushing the firewall grommet out. Would it be ok to run the heater core pipe without the grommet or do I just need to adjust the connection at thr separated pipes

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    First thing I would try: better hose clamps, and a new longer heater hose 5/8 inch diameter.
    Last edited by atank; 11-12-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    First thing I would try: better hose clamps, and a new longer heater hose 5/8 inch diameter.
    I got silicone heater hoses and new hose clamps on it, its just leaking from the connection where the pipe was cut

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptt0 View Post
    I got silicone heater hoses and new hose clamps on it, its just leaking from the connection where the pipe was cut
    Can you get another pic of the leak with the new clamps, and hose installed? You could have a hairline crack in the copper where the pipe was cut.......or you could have a crushed pipe at the leak location, you may want to check that out also.