Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "21 Flavors"

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Doward's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    We dropped 21 Flavors off a couple weeks ago for a cage. SCCA Production style a'la Creampuff(sorta)

We are also 90% sure that a ~60k mile bp6d we have from a 02 part out will end up in the car soon. We pulled the 1.9l bp05 out before shipping it off for the cage.

Thanks Given
    21 Flavors update!

I finished the $50 Rustoleum roll on paint job back in November and it pretty much sat outside until we dropped it off for cage fab in January. Once it was back we hopped right on the vvt swap.

Just for recap, here's the 2002 Crystal Blue that the vvt engine came from:

Spy shot of new tow rig:

Cage pic during rattle can painting:

You already knew those 10" 6uls were gonna find their way on here. Please excuse the ride heights for now

While it was in for the engine swap, I also swapped the FMVMAXXXTREMETRACKPACK coilovers out for a set of Spec Miata Bilsteins that came on a car we parted out.

Things left to do:
    -Paint rockers black
    -Cut and install rear bumper
    -Re-install splitter and airdam, maybe airdam v3?
    -Move Car of Tomorrow wing over from my green car.
    -Stickers
    -Pick a wheel and tire combo.
    -I have some ~40% 275/35/15 Hoosier A6 unmounted in my basement.
    -I still have 205/50/15 A6 mounted on 9" 6ul
    -I still have the 13" 225 hankook setup from seasons past.

Things i'd like to do:
    -Livery
    -More weight loss
    -Door beams can now come out. Doors could even be totally skinned then pinned or bolted shut. No need for them with E Prod style side bars.
    -Trunk lid is still stock with hinge, latch and all.
    -We have a single piece fiberglass hood/headlight covers.
    -________?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-02-2015)

Thanks Given
    Yesterday wasnt nearly as productive as i'd hoped for it to be, but I got the rockers painted, wing mounted, hood figured out and intake built. It turns out that MSM shock tower braces don't fit under NA hoods? So I had to create some BFH dents in the under-hood structure/webbing.

Thanks Given
    Cut rear bumper and some of the rear structure behind the wheels:

I dont have a clue how effective these will be, but I made some very extensive rear tire spats out of the same 1/8" abs that I used for the new dash/cowl cover.

I also pulled the brand new 245/40/15 Maxxis RC-1 off with hopes to sell them on. While they fit the both cars, they dont quite fit the in the grand scheme of what 21 flavors is and they are too wide for nasa TT'ing on my green car.
    So on went some $100 scrub 275/35/15 Hoosier A6.

This means i'll need to cut the fenders. How much exactly, I wont know until I get the ride height set this Sunday. I am hoping to only have to cut the fronts and roll/hammer the rears. Being the car that it is, I wont have to be gentle with the hammering

Pictures after rolling it outside after making a dash/cowl cover and with the new Singular Motorsports endplates:

Last night, I added all the stickers and made brackets for the headlight lid covers. I also painted the splitter black. The grey splitter had too much contrast/checkerboard effect to me.:

Somewhere in the process we through the black TR 15x9 and 225/45 hankooks on to see what black wheels looked like

This is the first pic of the completed vvt swap. Stock ecu, stock nb2 fuel system from the tank all the way up, nb2 header and a cobbled together cold side intake. No CELs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (04-30-2015),fwdtamiya (04-30-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Two Six Motorsports offers Bilstein revalving if you want something better than off the shelf NA Billies.

Thanks Given
    First autocross of the year went great. We took 3 different sets of wheels/tires to test out. We started the day on Darren's 4yr old 225/45/15 Hankook RS3 on the black TRM 15x9s. They weren't very fun at all. Car was understeery, tires were hard and we weren't co-driving like usual, so we were unable to get enough heat in them.

I chose to start the day on these so I could set ride height on the the perfectly flat setup pad the track has. I initially went with a "high" setting of 4.75"F/5"R for a couple reasons.
    A. To mimic most of the local Spec Miata guys who all complain of rear shock travel any lower than that.
    B. To potentially get the 15x10s and 275/35/15s to fit without cutting the front fenders.

I ended up lowering the car .5F/.25"R" after the first couple runs to try and find more front grip(never did)

Next we went to the 225/45/13 Hankook C71 on 13x8.5 Panasport C8 that we ran the last two seasons. These tires are also 4 years old, but are stored better and not driven across the country. Much better, front was way up which made everything else feel great.

Then after lunch I swapped over to the 10" 6uls and 275/35/15 Hoosier A6s. These made our depowered steering car exceptionally hard to muscle around a go kart track autocross. Most national scca autocrossers keep powersteering for this reason. It took me several runs to beat my best 13'/225 time. I'm not sure if that was actaully because of the steering effort, wider car, or the Hoosiers being dead too(they were $100 and well used)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doward For This Useful Post:

Grip Driver (05-12-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12