Thread: No Power to A/C Compressor? So confused.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Faline's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 1.6L Red, on coilovers.
    Thanks Given

Unhappy No Power to A/C Compressor? So confused.

The previous owner of my '90 destroyed to electrical wiring under my hood. He literally just snipped most of the wires off things to "clean up the look". He also did a full dash swap, with very poor re-wiring. So that's the start to my issues. I am trying to get my A/C working, I'll just get right down to it.

My fans blow strong when I turn the control like normal...no problem, my compressor works and is recharged and blows cold air WHEN we connected the compressor to a Power Probe...but! The A/C compressor does not turn on when I press in the "AC" button on my dash like you normally would.

So basically the power source for the compressor is detached somewhere between the compressor wire connector and the button in my dash.

So what I'm trying to ask is, how should I go about re-wiring the compressor to a power source with a switch (so that it does not drain my battery) and it runs properly with a fuse and such. I have asked around a lot and done a lot of searching but my case is weird and very specific. I just want to re-wire it instead of spending more hours trying to track down the issue with the existing wiring mess. Where is there a good power source I can connect it to, what kind of fuse should I use etc...

I live in south Florida so driving without A/C in the 90 degree heat every day is insane. I have even considered selling the car just to get into anything with working A/C just to survive the summer.

Any help is super appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
    FalineFarwell.com

1990 1.6L, Red w/Black Interior, Coilovers, 15x7 Zender Challenge, Muffler Delete, JEGS Race Seats, MOMO Marine 350 Steering Wheel, GV Style Front Lip, Ducktail Spoiler, Flyin' Miata Front/Rear Sway Bars.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    What dash swap did the previous owner do? You should consider getting a full dash wiring harness from a wrecked car or something, insread of trying to fix the existing one.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Faline's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 1.6L Red, on coilovers.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    What dash swap did the previous owner do? You should consider getting a full dash wiring harness from a wrecked car or something, insread of trying to fix the existing one.
    I think it's an '96 or '97 m edition dash, not sure. I have been keeping an eye out for a wiring harness but I fear that won't fix the AC issue.
    FalineFarwell.com

1990 1.6L, Red w/Black Interior, Coilovers, 15x7 Zender Challenge, Muffler Delete, JEGS Race Seats, MOMO Marine 350 Steering Wheel, GV Style Front Lip, Ducktail Spoiler, Flyin' Miata Front/Rear Sway Bars.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    This is exactly what I would do. LKQ in St. Pete probably has a dash. Removing the dash is fairly easy, and the wiring harness' should be plug and play for NA. But still try to get a dash that is from 90 to 93 as they used obd2 on the 96 to 97

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

RustRat (07-07-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Here is the dash removal thread with photos. Take a look and you can probably see what you are missing before you go buy a dash. Might save some time and trouble

Clicky ------> http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....uctions-w-pics!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Sure you could put it on a switch, but it may not solve the issue. You need to isolate the issue.

It seems like either the switch from the dash to the relay is disconnected or the relay itself is bad.

I would probably start here to troubleshoot that:

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-M...-1993/hvac.pdf