Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Lobo

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    You, sir, have balls. I wouldn't do that in my brand new cluster.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts
    So, for those of you looking to install Adam's lenses, if you've got a newer panel, you might run into a few snags. As the writeup on Adam's page shows, the panel is held together by the jeweled indicator lights, which are retained by jam nuts. That's not the case anymore. I did my best to make a writeup.

Supplies:
    KG Works Cluster
    RevLimiter Lenses
    2mm allen/hex key
    Gloves
    Xacto knife
    Super Glue
    Hair Dryer
    Patience

Cluster and lenses

Begin as usual by removing the four buttonhead screws around the panel. They take a 2mm Allen key. Be careful not to strip them, but if you do, don't worry. It can be fixed, and you can buy the 4 screws for the total price of one dollar.

Once you have the screws out, remove it from the plastic and set the plastic aside. Turn it over and set it on something that won't damage the indicators. I used the bubble wrap that came with the panel. You'll see this before you.

The newer panels are held on by plastic retainers that are glued to the panel and jeweled indicators.

An example of the glue

Now, the retainers are not threaded at all. They are entirely held on by glue and a small amount of friction depending on the fit. Put your glasses on and get ready to use your Xacto knife.

Carefully put the Xacto knife along the glued sections and slice through the glue. You may scratch the back of the panel, but nobody will know but you. Or in my case anyone who sees these pictures will know mine is.

Beginning to cut the glue.

Once you cut through the glue, the indicators should free spin, but they may not be ready to come off. You'll see that the turn signal retainers are much larger than those for the others. We'll get to those in a second, but for now focus on the other smaller ones.

Using your Xacto knife, or a smaller screwdriver if you have one that will work, slowly pry up at different spots of the retainer. It will begin to come up and then off of the indicator, allowing it to slide out of the panel. If your retainers are giving you trouble, you may need to run the knife around the base some more for excess glue.

Retainer removed

Now, for the larger ones, they may not pry as easily. For these I used a set of channel locks and lightly gripped the outer edges and wiggled back and forth once all the glue was cut. They were hesitant, but after a little work, they too came out.

Larger retainer, showing that they are not threaded.

Panel with all the necessary indicators removed. Don't worry about the 4 in the center, they stay in.

Now, the panel may not just come apart, as there is some adhesive and pressure holding it together. When you look at the sides, you'll see what appears to be 3 layers, but only worry about the top one Shown here.

Slowly work the edges and pull the top of the panel away all around the panel. It will take some work, but will come apart. Just take your time.

Panel separated

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Now, once you have it apart, you will see that the lenses are actually held in by glue in various spots.

Now you can try to just push the glass out, but I didn't want to take any chances. I went and grabbed a hair dryer. If you don't have a hair dryer handy, find a girlfriend, as they are likely to have one as mine does.

I then applied high heat around the panel in slow circles making sure to cover all the adhesive spots.

Warning:This will make the panel very hot. I used a paper towel to handle the panel in this stage.

After this step, the glass pops out fairly easily. Hold the panel firmly with one hand, and apply pressure near the glue spots to remove the glass.

Glass removed

Now when installing the new lenses, as you remove the protective film, you may see a bit of orange/yellowish residue around the edges. This will not be seen, but if you want to remove it, use the plastic film adhesive side to wipe it away or set it and pull it back. It will come off.

Also, I used the blow dryer again for this step, applying it to the glue areas of each lens before I set them.

Lenses set

Now, to begin reassembly. It works best if you push the panel together some, and then one at a time, put the indicators in, and lightly push the retainers on, this way you can set the panel upside down without them falling out. Once it's upside down, remove the retainers, and grab your glue.

I used a Gorilla Glue variant, but any number of products will work.

Set the nozzle of the glue at a diagonal angle along the edge of the indicator until you have enough to work with.

Put the retainer on, and apply pressure for 10-30 seconds or until you feel it's secure. Repeat for each retainer.

Indicators installed

Once you're sure they are set, flip it back over and set it on the plastic piece and tighten down. I screwed in a diagonal pattern a bit at a time for each screw, just to be safe. Be careful to not overtighten or risk stripping the screws.

Enjoy your panel with less glare, and pat yourself on the back. Maybe buy yourself a beer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

Dandy (07-24-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (07-25-2015),Jhabitat (07-24-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    You, sir, have balls. I wouldn't do that in my brand new cluster.
    Oh, I never thought I would either. But I did. Super rewarding. But it was definitely made worse by being the top left one, so close to the plastic piece. Just took my time and every precaution.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Also, here's a sneak peek for you guys. Got some progress pics from my painter today.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

Malibu Q (07-26-2015),Paul B (07-24-2015)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Jhabitat's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Merc
    Thanks Given
    Oh man, they are gonna look awesome.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhabitat For This Useful Post:

Corifto (07-24-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Wow you are working so fast I can barely keep up!!!

Also, I thought the NEW version KG works glass was non-reflective???

and be careful with the superglue as it can leave that white chalking on the cluster if you use too much.

pretty sure I have some of those small Allen heads from building multiple clusters on my own and for friends if you need any.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Wow you are working so fast I can barely keep up!!!

Also, I thought the NEW version KG works glass was non-reflective???

and be careful with the superglue as it can leave that white chalking on the cluster if you use too much.

pretty sure I have some of those small Allen heads from building multiple clusters on my own and for friends if you need any.

Haha yeah, things are just falling into place and making me spend money.

There was definitely a glare. I tried to take a picture but it didn't turn out. The KG lenses showed a bright white reflection from my kitchen light. The Rev lenses showed a faint blue light. There was quite a difference.

I made sure to only use a dab of glue similar to that of the factory appearance. I didn't use any on the lenses themselves, I just used the dryer to reactivate it.

Appreciate it, but I found out that Ace carries them for a quarter each. The heads are a different shade, so I just replaced all four.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    yep, Ace Hardware is where I got mine from too

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Corifto (07-24-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I went to Lowes first since it's close to my house. Their selection is laughable. So I drove up to Town and Country and found them in a minute of looking. Ace is the helpful place.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-30-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Don't mind my gauge hood, eventually I'll buy a new one.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

RustRat (07-24-2015),TNRooster3 (08-05-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MightyM's Avatar
    Drives
    a Black 94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Is it just me or are your newly painted panels the wrong color? Looks a bit metallic.
    Great build btw, definitely moving quickly!

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Pretty sure it's just the lighting. The paint was matched off of the gas lid.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MightyM's Avatar
    Drives
    a Black 94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Nice. I can't wait to see it on!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Great write up on replacing the glass, maybe pass it onto Adam, Revlimiter, since his KG Works his the older ones and do not believe he has a write for the newer style.

Can't wait to see the trunk and GV panel installed!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Corifto (07-25-2015)

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast