Thread: 1999 Problem

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given

Question 1999 Problem

When I drive my 1999 aggressively but staying within all limits after about an hour or so the engine quits but when I stop it will idle but if I put it under a load i.e. attempt to move out in gear it'll stall. If I let it set for 1.5-2 hours then it starts and runs normal. As long as I keep the RPM below about 3000 it'll run all day with no problems. Does the same thing if you do interstate speeds (70-75) for about .5-1 hour same thing happens. Hard to find out what is going on because when I take it in it runs perfect.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I'd go buy a can of compressed air. When the car gets hot and has the problem, pull the EFI relay out of the underhood fuse box (should be the green one) Spray that with the compressed air can upside down, so that the relay freezes (keep your fingers away from it while spraying of course). Re-install, and see if the issue goes away. If it does, go buy a fresh relay.

If this does not work, try the same trick with the crank position sensor, and then the cam position sensor, to eliminate those two as being the issue.

Diagnosing without an active CEL is difficult, but I'd check those first, then look at the coils, wires, and coil pack.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the info. Car goes into the shop this morning and I'll give these suggestions to them.