Thread: Life in the slow lane or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the trip

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    8/14/15

I wanted to change my transmission fluid but I ran into the snag of finding a 17mm hex bit socket. Thankfully harborfreight had a full set from 4mm to 17mm in stock so I snagged that and got to work. There was so much grim on my transmission that I had to take a brass brush with some engine de-greaser and brake parts cleaner to clean off the section with the bolts for the tranny fluid. I initially ran into a problem with the bolts being seized so I did the best I could. I was able to free them with my Milwaukee small impact wrench. It doesn't do more than 200 ftlbs or so but it was able to get the job done of removing those stuck bolts. I pumped in some nice fresh 85w90 GL4 from NAPA (I think it was Stalube) and the transmission now shifts a bit better. The fluid in there wasn't that bad to begin wit but it gave me peace of mind.

8/15/15
    The next morning I gathered my things to meet our local VW group to go for a nice drive to Everglades City. Nothing says testing out a new vehicle than going on its real maiden voyage to the Everglades. We had no issues going there except for the rain. I found out the hard way that my bus does not have working wipers. Thankfully rainx really helped in seeing with rainy weather. We met up with some cool people.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

WASABI (08-18-2015)