Thread: Fault code 34 (1.6)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given

Fault code 34 (1.6)

I'm getting very frustrated with my acceleration problem. I've replaced the wires with NGK blues and it helped a bit. Got my injectors serviced and cleaned. That also helped a bit. However I still have terrible off the line get up and go.

So, curious I tried the diagnostics troubleshooting to point me to my next project and I received code 34. After looking it up I learned it's something to do with the IAC or IAS in my 1.6 case. After multiple google searches I could not find anything that matched my current problem. So I hope someone can shine some light on this matter.

Here is my situation. My car starts up just fine. Cold idle sits at 1000rpm (seems low to me). Once warmed up my idle sits at 500-600rpm give or take. However even with that low number there's no stutter or feeling of it stalling.

Now, when I'm coming from a dead stop there's a bit of hesitation and I can definitely feel a power loss. I can get up to speed but, it takes a bit of time. Even with WOT there's a serious lack of power. Even the 4k+rpm funzies is non existent. It's hard to describe but, the best way I can put it is my revs feel very mono toned.

So with that being said. Can the IAS cause this sort of issue?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Fault code 34 (1.6)

Unplug the ISC electrical connector, observe any changes?

Sure it is code 34 and not 3&4?

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    I'll try that tomorrow since it'll be my weekend.

Pretty sure it's 34. It went blink-blink-blink then the cel was dark for almost 2 seconds then it blinked 4 times but much faster.

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Just a little update. I've been too busy with other projects that I totally spaced about pulling the IAS plug. I was going to pull the TB and IAS apart and do a deep internal cleaning but, because I was "in the now" moment I forgot "OH YEAH! The TB and IAS have gaskets." So I was only able to do a external cleaning.

So. After the "cleaning" my warm idle sits at around 700rpm. Which is a good sign that I did something right. However when I was reving up to clear any left over solvent I noticed a loud whining noise. Almost supercharger like. I double checked my belts just in case and the tension seems on point. Is this a sign of a failing IAS? The sound effect is quite awesome but, seeing as I don't have a supercharger I'm a bit worried.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

Fault code 34 (1.6)

Belts are probably too tight. Maybe an idler pulley?

An ISCV acting up can be heard with the ignition on, engine off. Sound like an electrical buzz. Sometimes you can hear the barrel inside moving spastically.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Slipstreem (10-13-2015),tsingson (10-13-2015)

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Sound like an electrical buzz. Sometimes you can hear the barrel inside moving spastically.
    Sure enough! Went for a drive and not 5 seconds after start up I heard this obnoxious buzzing accompanied with a clacking noise. Time to go junk yard hunting. Thank you so much for your help KFJ!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slipstreem For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (10-13-2015),tsingson (10-13-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I had a habit of taking the ISCVs off junked Miatas I found. They are overly sensitive, IMO. You should only clean them with TB cleaner, not carb cleaner as I have ruined one using too harsh a solvent to clean it.