Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the proper way of flushing the Cooling System?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Well, haven't thought of that; apparently a temp-based map (or temp. correction) on the ECU for timing. How did you find that out? Measured timing before/after?

Also, what people think of this?
    http://www.evanscooling.com/
    IMO it is an overkill for our cars, but it came to my mind as i was reading this topic.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    No simply reading up on various forums about how the factory ecu tune was 'optimized' to use the factory 195°F thermostat, again i can't recall the specifics beyond that but i had already bought a 180°F thermostat and after coming across some relevant information i dug deeper and decided to get a 195°F till the MS3 was installed and then i would change to a 180°F.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    What I also found very interesting is that when draining, after the last drip jack up the rear of the car and you will see another 2 liters flow out. I measured very close to 6 liters out after lifting the rear.

"But the burping is a little challenging, you need to squeeze pump the lower radiator hose several times while the front of the car jacked up as high as you can. If the car get hot than normal, relax turn off the engine and repeat the process. You will have over flows so you need a huge funnel/spill free funnel. Be patient once you get that air pocket out your temp will normalize."

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    The one I was looking into is even lower. I think (top of my head) that NB2 OEM one is 180F, and have installed a 72 deg.C/160F in a friends' NB2 lately. On his, operating temps are around 190 now, rarely going over 195. Mine (with OEM thermostat) operates around 195F, both with IL Motorsport aluminum radiator.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Always use distilled, unless it's an emergency and tap water is all you can get at the moment. You can go to Firestone they have "coolant vac" RTI, Uview, or stuff like "Flow Dynamics C-vac machine" that suck and fill the coolant in one.

You can do it manually as well, but like a few people mentioned here, replace the hoses and thermostat. I prefer OEM Mazda parts and Gates for aftermarket. Good luck.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12