Thread: Willz's Montego Blue NA

Idling - Listen to it purr... ya boy willz's Avatar
    Drives
    97 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Willz's Montego Blue NA

Thought I'd post my "Build" thread over here since I'm usually on this forum/CR the most. The car is a 97 5spd Montego Blue NA I bought about a year ago with 78k miles and currently has ~92k miles. It's pretty much just some broke college kids daily driver with a few mods

Pictures of it when I first bought it

It came with a head unit that had a CD stuck in it, was rated at 40w, an inoperative pass speaker, and a drivers door speaker that I had to punch to get to work. So I quickly replaced it with the Sony Xplod Head Unit I had in my old car, and put in two Sony Xplod 6.5" speakers I had picked up at best buy for $20. Eventually I went ahead and put cheap-o 3.5" Autozone speakers in the head rest to improve the sound some more.

The next few mods were replacing the old Magnaflow muffler that had been welded onto the stock exhaust system and had holes in the side of it with a custom 2.25" "cat-back" exhaust with no resonator and a new Magnaflow Muffler. Then I replaced the peeling leather shift knob with a fancy Password JDM one, and plasti-dipped the American Racing wheels that came with the car black, and then gold. I also scored big at a junkyard and picked up some smoked front turn signals in perfect condition.

The stock suspension on the car was of course blown with close to 80k miles so I wanted to replace it and lower the car at the same time. Balling on a budget of course led me to purchase some #hellaswag #slamlyfe Raceland Coilovers. I also plasti-dipped the rear finish panel in black to add some contrast to the rear, added an Led to the interior so I could actually see at night, and replaced the old front pads with new Stoptech Brake Pads.

Then I took this bad boy beast out to Miatapalooza and ended up wining a $30 gift card from Moss Miata during the raffle So i ordered their radiator cowl cover and also ordered a GV replica lip from Ebay. Then I grabbed a spare Valve Cover from Redline Autosports and rattlecanned it "Burnt Copper".

After a year of staring at the massive stock antenna and hardly ever using the radio I got tired of it and ordered a Performance Done Right Antenna Delete Plug. Then on the off chance I ever break down (but mostly because I'm a ricer at heart) I ordered some Rennenmetal Tow Hooks in raw steel and plasti-dipped them gold to match the wheels. My stock horn also died during this time period so I replaced it with two Sickspeed Horns (Ebay Hellahorn replicas). After that I haven't done anything else with the car besides drive it so below is the latest picture I have of it.

The next goal is to throw Santa Claus some money and get some new wheels on her. Currently leaning towards Kosei K1s in 15x7 +30 or Konig FlatOuts in 15x8 +25 w/ Hankook Ventus HRIIs in 205/50. I also roam the forums/craigslist often so if a good deal on another set of wheels pops up I might jump on them to save some $$$$. I'm all over the Sanford/East Orlando/UCF area and attend the Orlando Roadsters meets so there's a pretty good chance you've seen the car driving around if your in the area.

Drives
    97 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    I bought some wheels for the car about a month ago. I ended up going with the Konig Flat Outs in 15x8 +25 Bronze color. My Tire choice was the Hankook Ventus HRIIs in 205/50R15. I ended up having to get the fenders rolled because I had rubbing in the rear on hard corners even at my ride height. Below are some pictures. Yes I know the rear needs to be about a .5" lower but that would require me taking the rear suspension apart and removing the helper springs because #RacelandsBlow.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Man I love the oem paint, I wish my car had paint like that.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo For This Useful Post:

ya boy willz (01-24-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice story so far. I really like the new wheel/tire set up. Good fitment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

ya boy willz (01-24-2014)

Drives
    97 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    So a little update. Got this thing boosted a few months back and it's been an adventure to say the least but the car is tons of fun. Turbo build consists of Begi mani & DP, SR20 T25 turbo, Braineack built DIYPNP, Ebay IC set up, and tuned by Linfert Performance. Car put down 150whp and ~170wtq on 6psi. Ive also changed out to wider wheels and tires and gotten a roll bar and other smaller details since these pictures but don't have any current pictures right now.