Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are helper springs that important?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Yes. Not the easiest way, but one that definitely works. Do not forget to lift both front wheels off the ground (I used jack stands when measuring mine), since the ARB will keep the lifted wheel from full droop.
    Wow thanks a lot for the info. BTW lol what is "ARB"? Sorry technically challenge here.

Just to be clear. While the two tires are up, do I apply pressure to bring the tires down as much then measure the play on the springs? If no play then that means I am good to go w/out helpers? If there is a play how much of it should I start to worry?
    Life is short drive a Miata

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    Awesome Harry. I would need a Torrington bearing to go with this retainer right?

Also "Wannafbody" mentioned that with 7" spring the helpers are not needed. So with my 8" Springs I could get away without helpers?
    I've never heard of anyone using tender springs with 8 inch springs.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I've never heard of anyone using tender springs with 8 inch springs.
    Thanks for the info. I will rejoice if I don't have to get some helpers. I will save the $$$ for later spring upgrade. I was actually looking to get some Swift springs but I just to enjoy this new rebuild and my first AFCO. I thought getting helpers for this set-up is an upgrade.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    ARB-> Anti-roll bar. No need to push anything, they will drop as much as they would while driving at the worst (well, maybe even more, unless you are into jumps). Wannafbody is most probably right, it is highly unlikely that you will need helpers at all, but since you brought it up, that would be the way to go. IMO, a spring upgrade is useless unless you want to change rates. Springs are springs; and I assume that AFCO springs are of more than decent quality.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

wannafbody (04-22-2016)

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    ARB-> Anti-roll bar. No need to push anything, they will drop as much as they would while driving at the worst (well, maybe even more, unless you are into jumps). Wannafbody is most probably right, it is highly unlikely that you will need helpers at all, but since you brought it up, that would be the way to go. IMO, a spring upgrade is useless unless you want to change rates. Springs are springs; and I assume that AFCO springs are of more than decent quality.
    Thanks again for your insight. I compared the length of the rear AFCO coilovers from my Eibach + Illumina combo and the AFCO is 0.5" shorter so that said I may not even go more than 1.5" lower with this coilover therefore if my guess is right there may not even have enough space for the helpers. We shall see when I get them installed as I am also waiting for some dust covers for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12