Thread: LED lights for rear and side lights Any recommendations?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given

LED lights for rear and side lights Any recommendations?

I'd like the car to be more visible at night. What bulbs/systems has anyone used?
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Superbrightleds.com is where I have bought all mine minus the Carbon Miata taillight panel. Most of Warbird's interior and exterior lights are led.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Superbrightleds.com is where I have bought all mine minus the Carbon Miata taillight panel. Most of Warbird's interior and exterior lights are led.
    And how long have you had them?

Are you happy with the LED's?

Not a fan of the Carbon Miata taillight, so I may only replace the trunk brake light.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    I've been using superbrightleds.com's taillights for over 2 years and they still work great. I remember something about using a resistor on the taillights or your cruise control won't work. Also a resistor for you turn signals so they don't hyperblink.

I don't have cruise control and I'm still using the normal bulb for my turn signals so I didn't need any resistors.

Here's their resistor:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-fix/191/832/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-10-2016),Phatmiata (11-10-2016)

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    I have run SuperbrightLEDs on my cars for more than 5 years and none of mine have required resistors.

I installed OEM/JDM side winkers and used WLED-NWHP5 Natural White LEDs which are 90 lumens and they are very bright

For the GV tails, I purchased 1156-W26-CBT White and 1157-W26-CBT White for the turn signal and parking/brake lamps each at 540 & 420 lumens, respectively.

For the CHMSL, I bought a generic clear LED replacement type and just swapped out the OEM red lens housing.

I also replaced all the interior bulbs with the equivalent LEDs (including the HVAC and switch lighhting).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammerhead For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-10-2016),tsingson (11-10-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I've been using superbrightleds.com's taillights for over 2 years and they still work great. I remember something about using a resistor on the taillights or your cruise control won't work. Also a resistor for you turn signals so they don't hyperblink.

I don't have cruise control and I'm still using the normal bulb for my turn signals so I didn't need any resistors.

Here's their resistor:
    Thanks Marty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I have run SuperbrightLEDs on my cars for more than 5 years and none of mine have required resistors.

I installed OEM/JDM side winkers and used WLED-NWHP5 Natural White LEDs which are 90 lumens and they are very bright

For the GV tails, I purchased 1156-W26-CBT White and 1157-W26-CBT White for the turn signal and parking/brake lamps each at 540 & 420 lumens, respectively.

For the CHMSL, I bought a generic clear LED replacement type and just swapped out the OEM red lens housing.

I also replaced all the interior bulbs with the equivalent LEDs (including the HVAC and switch lighhting).
    Awesome John! I'll be in Tampa from Dec 10, until the 20th. I hope to see your cars then!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (11-10-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    1)And how long have you had them?

2)Are you happy with the LED's?

3)Not a fan of the Carbon Miata taillight, so I may only replace the trunk brake light.
    1) Didn't do them all at once so it varies from 6 months-3+ yrs.

2) I am indeed. The only issue I ran into was the license plate lights wouldn't work even though they tested good with a power source. As it turns out they were polar specific and the leads on the sockets had to be swapped, problem solved. I have a TapTurn flasher module that took care of hyper flash, added an adjustable tap turn featute (recently stopped working, need to trouble shhot and contact seller) and adjustable hazard flash with strobe feature.

3) Understandable, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. I always like the Garage Vary taillight panel but wanted something different and the use of leds that reminded me of some of the Lotus's or various Ferrari's is what 'sold me' on the Carbon Miata taillight panel which I am still very happy with.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Here's their resistor:
    That was my Miata. The lights were great but I didn't notice the cruise control not working for a few weeks later. It took another couple of weeks troublshooting, electrical diagrams, even a new cruise control module before I traced the problem back to the bulbs. I also had the correct flasher module upgrade for LED lights so I never got hyperblink.

No todo que es oro brilla.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Martin (11-10-2016),The Driver (11-10-2016)

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    That was my Miata. The lights were great but I didn't notice rhe cruise control not working for a few weeks later. It took another couple of weeks troublshooting, electrical diagrams, even a new cruise control module before I traced the problem back to the bulbs. I also had the correct flasher module upgrade for LED lights so I never got hyperblink.
    What is the actual issue concerning CC and the tail lamp bulbs? Did the LEDs not provide enough resistance?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Well, I didn't work it down to the voltage level but I can say this: cruise control is only affected when LEDs are installed for the brake lights. It just won't engage. (This has nothing to do with disengagement as that's handled through the switch on the brake pedal.).

You can have LEDs everywhere else without affecting cruise control but the brake lights will require one resistor per side. Somehow the cruise control module knows when the load isn't high enough from the brake bulbs.

Still, a couple of resistors is cheap and easy to install. Just want to save someone else all the frustration I went through finding this out.

No todo que es oro brilla.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

The Driver (11-11-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Well, I didn't work it down to the voltage level but I can say this: cruise control is only affected when LEDs are installed for the brake lights. It just won't engage. (This has nothing to do with disengagement as that's handled through the switch on the brake pedal.).

You can have LEDs everywhere else without affecting cruise control but the brake lights will require one resistor per side. Somehow the cruise control module knows when the load isn't high enough from the brake bulbs.

Still, a couple of resistors is cheap and easy to install. Just want to save someone else all the frustration I went through finding this out.
    And since I have and love my cruise control, I thank you!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-11-2016)

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    And since I have and love my cruise control, I thank you!
    Give the resistors a go.