Thread: NB Miata Heater Fan Control Panel Removal

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2004 MSM Titanium Grey
    Thanks Given

NB Miata Heater Fan Control Panel Removal

A couple of days ago, I turned on my rear window defogger and when I pushed the button in the dash, it slipped further back into the control panel. A few minutes later, I noticed I couldn't control the fan speed and as it turns out, the stem for the fan speed switch had also slipped back into the control panel so that the control knob couldn't reach back to it. It appears that I need to remove the panel from the dash and see what's going on in there and what I need to do to fix it.
    So, what I need to know is how to remove the control panel from the dash. I found a couple of YouTube videos that described how to remove the radio head unit and I may see if that kind of technique might also work for this panel, but if anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I have to watch this thread as I am having an issue with my fan control switch where it won't turn all the way to defrost. Feels like it gets hung up on something.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I'm not sure about the NB, but on the NAs, to remove the panel, you need to slip the control cables off the pivots they attach to (like the flapper door for hot/cold, not at the panel itself). It's not too difficult, but they are up under the dash. There are three for the NA. One controls fresh/recirc air, one controls the flapper to direct the air out of certain vents, the third is the flapper that controls the hot/cold mixture. The cables are clipped in by metal 'pinches' and can be easily removed with some firm, but careful force. One cable is on the left side of the centerstack, two are on the right. Move the levers on the control panel to find them.

After thet cables are free, you can remove the screws on the front of the panel, pull it out a little, and unclip the wire connector(s) on the back. Then just pull the panel straight out, guide the cables out are the come though.

It sounds harder than it is.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

KevinJ (03-28-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-28-2017),tsingson (03-28-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2004 MSM Titanium Grey
    Thanks Given
    I removed the blank plate above the panel and was able to reach in and move the fan speed switch and the rear defogger switch around. It seems as though they might want to clip in place but I will need to get an inspection mirror back in there and try to see what is going on. For now, I just held the piece in place and when I pushed the fan speed knob onto the stem of the switch from the front, it held everything in place. I think something might be broken but it's operable for now.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    BTW, the Hot/Cold dial and the dial that selects Floor, Defrost, etc. seem to be separate from the pieces I am having issues with.
    Tsingson, I suggest you remove the plastic plate like I did and take a look. It may be obvious what the problem is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinJ For This Useful Post:

tsingson (03-28-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Remove center console.
    Remove the trim that goes around the HVAC/radio, has two bolts on the bottom that are uncovered upon removal of the center console, the rest just clips in place. Start prying carefully working your way upwards.
    On the sides of the HVAC unit there are two small covers, pry them out carefully (easy to break!)
    Behind those small covers there are two holes. Use a piece of thick wire to push, HVAC unit will release.
    Cables do not have to be removed, as they have some slack; however if you need to remove the HVAC unit, you will need to remove those. To access them you need to first remove the glovebox.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-28-2017),KevinJ (03-29-2017),kung fu jesus (03-28-2017),tsingson (03-28-2017)